Tsunamis on the Great Lakes? This is a new one...

Heard a story from Olcott about water rushing out of 18 mile during a T-storm, years ago......

and then 2 years ago while coming into Sandy to avoid a T-storm, there was an unusual amount of current in the creek rushing towards the lake..... hard to explain, but I'm sure it was somehow related to that storm.

I have experienced a small one on the south end of Cayuga when an intense storm blew through, always attributed it to a seiche. Maybe it was, it's not clear where the difference lies- maybe the meteotsunamis are from a quick push and the seiches from a sustained wind.

Anyway whatever it's called, it was pretty cool watching Fall Creek flow upstream for a few minutes, it repeated a few times too as the wave bounced back and forth across the lake.

We had one 2 years ago on the East end if you want to call it a tsunami, I always called them storm surges. Anyway we went to bed around 10pm boats left till the morning on their rail systems. Came back out to in the AM and the electric winch motors were filled with water a chud line that came up at least 2' overnight then receded. There was a bad storm on the west end of the lake and the water level actually dropped at our place about 8" in just a few hours. People had jetskis that came off their lifts boats that were on the other side of the bay pretty crazy.

on more than one occasion while fishing the barge canal in Montour falls we observed the current flow upstream for several minutes before going back towards the lake, and this would repeat many times. we joked it was the Seneca tide. makes you wonder. fishing was usually good when this was happening.