How much room ?

Was out trolling by the plant today, heading east. All boats were going east/west, except for one guy who wanted to troll south. I could see him off my bow in the distance, by the time I crossed his path I would say he was +/- 300 yards away if not more. I hear him on the radio alittle later saying I cut him off. So the question is this...... How much space should you give someone assuming they have copper lines out ??

:yes:  You will see this on Lake O all the time . One of my pet peeves . A guy that is running a boat that is 300 ft wide and 900 ft long (planer boards and long lines ) is asking a bit much and I have no intention of giving any one that much clearance .

Edited by chinook35

I run leadcore 400' back and I'm constantly on watch to avoid other boats even if it means I have to stay on the outside of the fleet. 400' is a lot to ask and I'd hate to ruin my day or someone else's by squeezing my way through especially with 40-50 boats in one area. Most people give room off the stern but you get the odd one who will cut it some what close causing me to cross my fingers and prey they don't catch my lines. Not sure which party would be at fault.

Its too bat that a lot of people don't understand that If you're running > 300 behind your boat there is a responsibility that is on you too as an operator.   Pick your conditions for running the big stuff and understand the risks.  

BINGO !!!

However as in any situation there are exceptions. If that boat is outside all by himself fishing, and you see his net go a couple times and you move into the area he is working then the responsibility is on you to give up the room. Just a little common sense as well as a little common courtesy. The two go a long way in making for an enjoyable day.

Happy fishing.