Garmin panoptix

chinook266

First time on lake O with the garmin PS30 transom mounted down view transducer. Some quick impressions:

Able to see much more than 2d. Constantly seeing fish swimming in and out of the screen from all directions often with 2d showing a blank screen. (2d transducer is garmin gt23 600w chirp)

Am able to see not only the downrigger weights but also the baits behind them. Can easily seen the rotation of the flasher. Was able to watch fish come follow the baits on occasion.

Wasn't able to see dipseys. Will have to play around with changing gain, depth, and angle ( you can adjust the beam angle of the transducer from the head unit, not the transducer physically.)

Shoots a wicked rooster tail (Lund v-hull). Need to fabricate some type of spray shield.

Overall, way better than 2d but need more time to fine tune. Has to be seen in person. Still pictures don't do it justice.

I would call Garmin customer service to see what they think about your rooster tail.  They may tell you to mount the unit a little bit higher so it is flush with the hull,  The PS 30 is on my wish list for next year.  There is also a youtube video on it being used in the Great Lakes.

Called Garmin customer service. They took note of it and said they would bring it up to engineering to possibly develop a shield. They make a spray shield for some of their other transducers. They just used a design that someone made on another forum. Gonna try to move the transducer higher. I don't believe I need it to be below the transom since I don't need it to read at running speed. The only issue is it could block the forward view.

I saw that youtube video. It was the final push for me to pull the trigger.

I also have a Garmin. (551dv) and had a large rooster tail. I just quartered a black 1 quart oil bottle and mounted it so the bottom of the bottle is against the haul and the side of the bottle is over the transducer. No more rooster tail. And you can't even see the bottle.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app