Out drive quit

Gear ratio is 1:98-1. It's an " R " style drive but an early Alpha 1 upper will work with the correct length input yoke as stated above, splines are the same.  If I can help you out, pm me.

Unfortunately the area that you see leaking is where the top gear set is, with no lube down below there sure ain't none up top, they oil from the bottom, this is why it's so important that you have new O rings to put in place everytime you split the case. I would say it's safe to say the upper unit is scrap, if your mechanicaly inclined you can rebuild the unit at about 1/2 the price of a new one $1800.00. The gears and shafts are around 6 hundred$$. There will be special tools you'll need to buy there no is way around it!! Good luck with it. Pap.

Sounds like I got stiffed on another boat... Guess back to fiber glassing the bass boat to pay for repairs on the star craft... Should I just upgrade the whole setup? Newer motor, gimbal, and out drive? Parts seem to be very hard to find for this model... And all parts that I do find are used so after a few uses I'll be back to stuck on land..

Sent from my XT1528 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

O-rings are so old they where stuck in the hole... Had to scrape them out... Can't get the gear box top off... Stupid Philips head... Someone tried before hand and ruined the heads... Guess I'll have to try Walmart for a torch... Any idea what I should be looking for? Makes no noise shifting in and out gear.

It won't when there's no teeth to hook up with and make noise. Are you talking about the top of the unit kind of like the cap with a hole in it? To get those screws out try a pointy punch make a deeper punch mark on the outer space, edge of the screw tap the punch to the left till it turns by hand or another tool. Or try to get a Phillips screw driver into the screw while turning in the off direction. Those screws are stainless, so they are hard like a #8 bolt in hardness, also by giving the screws a few good taps to loosen up the corrosion around the steel and aluminum, work them back and forth with a screwdriver. Hope all is better with your outcome? But when they stop its never a good thing or a cheap fix!!

Sounds like I got stiffed on another boat... Guess back to fiber glassing the bass boat to pay for repairs on the star craft... Should I just upgrade the whole setup? Newer motor, gimbal, and out drive? Parts seem to be very hard to find for this model... And all parts that I do find are used so after a few uses I'll be back to stuck on land..

Did you check the fluids prior to buying the boat...? Sorry you've had a bad experience.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I found diagrams... Finding NEW parts is the problem. Knowing me.... I don't want to buy used parts just so I have to search for more used parts in a week.... They don't seem to make any after market parts, can't get a straight answer on upgrading the whole setup... Seems the only thing good on this boat is hull and motor... I've been looking into putting an outboard on it. Looks like if I do that all I have to do is put knee braces in and get out board motor setup... Seems like the money I'll be dumping into this project I'm better off just going to bass pro and putting money down on a brand new boat... To bad my credit sucks

He suppose to let me know today what he has kicking around. I contacted a guy I bought a trim pump off of. He said he had whole unit (upper and lower) for $175. Hanks closer to me and I could pick it up. I will go with sei next year unless I start getting crazy amounts of tree work...

I have an outdrive that came off a '69 Penn Yan. Looks to be the same one in your picture. Be willing to part with it for free if you pick up. I also have rebuilt head if your engine is a Ford. Let me know..... Andy