Out drive quit

Most likely the engine coupler spun out.  Need to pull the outdrive/maybe engine & replace the coupler on the flywheel.  Check drive shaft & universal also at the same time.   Good luck!   Keep the check ok handy!

Edited by lineman49

Had the exact same thing happen to me, hopefully it didn't eat the the top shaft gears up, that's what happened to mine, looks like you lost a seal also, probably a totally loss. I didn't have the money for a new one, so I bought a boat for $300 that I knew was just rebuilt and bolted that one on, made sure the gears and shaft was right before I purchased this boat the motor and lower unit is all I used and scrapped the rest. Good luck.

Worse yet I was coming out of the hole and almost up on plane, when she just sat back down in the water, only would idle or it would shut off, thanks to my kicker we made it to shore and a nice man helped us out a lot. Thanks to the locals up there!!

A lot of the times it's just that the input shaft is differant, or like I said differant trim cylinders, FL if you could get a pic of your pump I might have one for you!! Also if it's the motor your local starter & alt. Rebuild shop should be able to hook you up with that. I used to have my own shop for 22 years and put many of pumps on for guys.

If you find a newer alpha or mr outdrive it'll bolt right up. If you shop around you can find them pretty cheap. I bought a spare for my boat just because it was only $250. Like pap said you'll just need to use your input shaft off the old outdrive because the newer ones are longer. Also try to get one off a boat with a similar size motor so the gear ratio is the same(or at least close)

sure looks like a pre alpha unit count the splines and measure the shaft length. Try and find numbers to cross over, just pull yours and see what's up first!!