Auto Pilot

Pa223

ok guys, we have a 27' 1990 Albin, displacement hull, with cable steering .  The existing auto pilot which is as old as the boat has died.  I am looking for a replacement with a budget.  At this point an AP that only holds GPS heading would be perfect.

My problem is I am completely lost when it comes to a APs.  Anyone out there with some mechanical knowledge that could point me in the right direction on models and sizes?  Albin hasn't been any help at this point.

Thanks for all responses.

I have been looking as well. There is only 1 complete systems i have found.

http://simrad.factoryoutletstore.com/details/346552/simrad-000-10908-001.html?category_id=56203

The lowerance needs a gps fishfinder to work

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/m/Products/Auto-Steering/Outboard-Pilot-Cable-Steer-Pack-en-us.aspx

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are right. For an older cable steer boat there are not a lot of options available. Been researching them as I know someone who just purchased an Islander with power assist cable steering and not alot of economical options available.

I've had some slight problems with the AP on my 25' 1987 regal- it was installed in 1990- (also an Auto Helm AP) it died on me this weekend, and after 6 hours with a multimeter (everything was still getting power, just nothing was turning on) it turns out there was just a little corrosion on the cables where they connected to the units power supply- all I had to do was unplug 2 wires, take about 3 passes with a wire brush on each, put an extremely light coat of dielectric grease on em and plug em back in- if you're dead set on purchasing new- good luck... I'm cheap and like to fix things- even if they are 26 years old!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...