Large Rock bass

Kevin J Legg

While trolling the SLR for walleyes this morning I hooked what I thought was a smallmouth. Turned out to be a 12", 1.3 lb. rock bass. Don't believe I have ever seen one this big but it's well off the state record. Also caught a nice limit of walleye.post-144887-14671238904155_thumb.jpg

My dad went out last night in my boat. 0 again. That makes three trips in a row.....I went through a slump this time of year last year but rebounded hard in August. That's why it's called fishing I guess...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 years back or so, my amigo Capt . Nick Lee of GoodTimes sport fishing and I were rec fishing and took one in 70fow on a spoon off the rigger. 14 3/4 inches. We couldn't believe it.

Big rockies can show up anywhere anytime. Always a surprise when caught as I never target them. But I have caught them over 12 inches a few times while fishing for other species. Caught a couple of big ones in the Genesee river down by Letchworth and in Honeoye Creek between Mendon, Rush and the Genny. And they taste fine, with a bone and meat structure more like crappie than other "round" sunfish, with large bones.

Wow that is a big Rockie Kevin, and way to get on those eyes to! I seem to remember them eating well. 

Roybee doesn't it make you want to go right back out and try again even more? On my last trip a couple weeks ago I thought for sure I would connect but didn't. Now it feels like the river is calling me back.    

While trolling the SLR for walleyes this morning I hooked what I thought was a smallmouth. Turned out to be a 12", 1.3 lb. rock bass. Don't believe I have ever seen one this big but it's well off the state record. Also caught a nice limit of walleye.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1467123866.889945.jpg

i have caught more large rock as this year than I have ever seen my entire life

They do show up anywhere anytime.....Also noticed they are getting bigger on the river. They can hit like a ton of bricks when dropshotting. Fun fish to catch. My grampa always called them sh$& fish growing up.... But I think they tast pretty good.

Used to catch 12-14 inch rock bass in Cayuga regularly in spring/early summer for years,, One day I caught over 100 rockies of all sizes there.. Then about 7 years ago there was a huge die off of bass, pike, perch, sunnies, rock bass, suckers, bullheads, etc, and I never caught another rock bass in the lake.

Not sure they even exist in Cayuga anymore.. Sunfish too.. The Gobies have decimated some of the panfish species in Cayuga from what I have seen... bob