Velvet transmissions ?

Xxx

I have heard this phrase used a few times on here mostly on bigger boats, not to sound dumb, I've been called a lot worse LOL but what is a velvet transmission? Do you actually shift this manually or is it like an automatic? Thanks for any input!! PAP, ps never to old to learn.

You are probably referring to Velvet Drive transmissions.  They are a major supplier of transmissions for marine applications as well as industrial.  It is a brand name and does not describe any particular function or type.  They are high quality and were very commonly paired with big block gas engines.  They are still in business and located in South Carolina.

It's a model made by Volvo. You should be able to download info on them

Thanks I tried to look it up but without the knowing the manufacturer it's a shot in the dark as to which is which. Thanks for the info. Thanks small boat, my father in law has a trucking business and all his trucks have Volvo transmissions in them, he orders them that way. He has all tri axels for road construction so they are way low in the box crawling over tough conditions sometimes getting pulled in & out by a dozer never did one tranny bust.

Edited by pap

Velvet drive Trans are used on inboard drives only. I have one with a 300hp Mercruiser 5.7 inboard on a 27 Sportcraft. Very robust and trouble free .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They also have clutch/friction plates in them which allows them to shift "velvet" smooth. Many inboard transmissions use a dog clutch, no friction plates,which is like a Mercruiser I/O and they clunk when shifting into gear. That's why they are named or referred to as Velvet Transmissions.