Hi Sarah, thank you for reaching out to this community! My wife and I have enjoyed fishing the LOCs for years!

One rule that I would like to see changed is having to weigh a fish in by 8pm and not being able to weigh it the next day. This rule only hurts the honest fisherman, as a cheater will just hold their fish and weigh it the next morning anyway.

Also, I've sent two emails to LOC about the Veterans tournament we are having at the end of July and have not heard back. Is there a better email I should use or if there is a phone number I should call, can you private message it to me please?

Hi there! Please email me directly at [email protected] and I apologize that your email was not addressed already. Thanks for your feedback!

Sarah thanks for taking the time

Prize structure and payouts need to be addressed.

A lake wide derby with the number of participants should do much better than paying out $50 for placing in the top 20 out of thousands of entrants,the cost to enter is $40 so a winning actual prize of $10 is ridiculous. I realize you know exactly how many entrants you average each derby and season but those numbers are never released because then people will do the math.

Dave should make money doing this after all it is a business and is time consuming,but a larger payout will yield you and he more entrants and a bigger profit in the long run.

You are at a point where many potential entrants are skipping the derby because they deem it not a good enough prize structure.

Thank you for your consideration

Good morning! So I will be honest with you...I don't release actual number because most people just multiply and think that they know what should be paid out based on those numbers. And that simple math is bad because it isn't an accurate reflection of reality. The reality is, with a derby this size, there are a lot more overhead costs than most people realize. We wanted people to be able to register online...just having that online shop and paying the processing fees for credit cards is an outrageous cost to us. We have to pay for a business line, have the ability to fax, email, etc. so we get real time results from weigh stations. Printing checks, awards, etc. Not to mention taxes, we all have to pay those. Those things cost money. The amount he spends on gas alone running back and forth to and from weigh/registration stations during the season is startling. He invested thousands in official scales for each weigh station and continues to invest more and more each year to replace and service them to make sure the playing field is even for you all, having them registered by county weights and measures.The reason we have been able to guarantee payouts and run a successful derby for so long, is that we have planned really well and budgeted wisely. And of course, Dave deserves a salary as does anyone else who works a job.  His salary is fair for a person that has been working hard for 20 years. And his job doesn't end in September, it is year round. So while the math may appear to be simple and the payouts less than what you think they should be, I urge you to look past the registration numbers and see the larger scope that is the business. I think then you will understand why we do what we do. We are always working to make sure payouts are as enticing as possible. We just want to make sure that we plan well so that we can come back each year and continue to do these great events for you all. Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you to you and your father Sarah. I have been fishing the ESLO and now the LOC for many years. Lake Ontario salmon fishing and the LOC derby are practically synonymous with each other in my book. One suggestion may be to reduce the number of payouts from 20 to 10 and add that money back in to the top 10.  I understand the reason for 20 places is to probably provide more participation and share the winnings with more folks but I don't think anybody is too excited about a $50 or $100 payment. Just a suggestion.

I just can't get enthused about a lake trout division. Canada has lakes that produce many and much larger lake trout than LO and I don't see people flocking to that fishery. I do agree however that having the division would help take more of them out of the lake which I'm all for:) Regardless of what you do you won't hear complaints from me so long as you keep the derby going.

Edited by A-Lure-A

Thank you to you and your father Sarah. I have been fishing the ESLO and now the LOC for many years. Lake Ontario salmon fishing and the LOC derby are practically synonymous with each other in my book. One suggestion may be to reduce the number of payouts from 20 to 10 and add that money back in to the top 10.  I understand the reason for 20 places is to probably provide more participation and share the winnings with more folks but I don't think anybody is too excited about a $50 or $100 payment. Just a suggestion.

I just can't get enthused about a lake trout division. Canada has lakes that produce many and much larger lake trout than LO and I don't see people flocking to that fishery. I do agree however that having the division would help take more of them out of the lake which I'm all for:) Regardless of what you do you won't hear complaints from me so long as you keep the derby going.

Thank you for being such a loyal participant! We are glad to hear you have been enjoying it! I see what you mean about the payouts, we do want to get as many people as possible getting a little cash, if possible, so that is always a tough call. Some people want more places to pay out, some people want less with higher payout amounts. And the lake trout debate is alive and well, whatever we do will have people on both sides of the issue! We do have the lake trout division in the Spring and Summer derbies so 2 out of 3 isn't bad....  :) We won't please 100% of the people 100% of the time, that is just the cost of doing business, we can only do our best! Thanks for the feedback and good luck on the water this Summer! 

Thanks Sarah and Dave for all the hard work you do to make my fishing a little more exciting. To bad Iam like the Buffalo Bills so close to making it a winning season. But this year is our year!!!! Thanks again.

Thanks Sarah and Dave for all the hard work you do to make my fishing a little more exciting. To bad Iam like the Buffalo Bills so close to making it a winning season. But this year is our year!!!! Thanks again.

Thanks! And I feel ya. The Bills have been breaking my heart for years. I wish you a lot of luck this season!!!

You guys and your quirky fishing questions.....I'm over here like are you sure Dave's your father?

Now for my fishing related statement.....Can the Lake Trout division be opened to 100 or 200 spots in each of the 3 derbies to help kill more of them? They are Alewife killing machines, and with the DEC worried about future baitfish levels we should try to get more of these Lake Trout out of the system so our precious Kings have plenty of food. Especially, since the silly feds are shoving them down our throats with no relief in sight. I don't think there even has to be a prize for 51-100. I'd gladly accept a certificate saying I helped out the Lake Ontario food chain.

You guys and your quirky fishing questions.....I'm over here like are you sure Dave's your father?

Now for my fishing related statement.....Can the Lake Trout division be opened to 100 or 200 spots in each of the 3 derbies to help kill more of them? They are Alewife killing machines, and with the DEC worried about future baitfish levels we should try to get more of these Lake Trout out of the system so our precious Kings have plenty of food. Especially, since the silly feds are shoving them down our throats with no relief in sight. I don't think there even has to be a prize for 51-100. I'd gladly accept a certificate saying I helped out the Lake Ontario food chain.

yes

Sarah welcome to Lake Ontario United form. I have loved fishing the ESLO & LOC derbies for many years( as my current profile picture shows the 1980s ESLO Weigh Station with Chad Lapa). This is a great interaction of questions and answers you are providing. Any chance you can put a link back to the Lake Ontario United website on your current LOC DERBY website. This way many more people will have a chance to ask questions and see answers from other questions asked already . Thanks in advancepost-139748-14674764019187_thumb.jpg I have known your dad for a long long time.... He never mentioned any kids !!!!!!!!

Sarah welcome to Lake Ontario United form. I have loved fishing the ESLO & LOC derbies for many years( as my current profile picture shows the 1980s ESLO Weigh Station with Chad Lapa). This is a great interaction of questions and answers you are providing. Any chance you can put a link back to the Lake Ontario United website on your current LOC DERBY website. This way many more people will have a chance to ask questions and see answers from other questions asked already . Thanks in advanceattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1467476397.448012.jpg I have known your dad for a long long time.... He never mentioned any kids !!!!!!!!

Hi RR, Yeah as I told Blue Eye we will take a look and get your link up probably tonight or tomorrow. The past two days have been busy; I am moving and my in laws are here visiting so I am dedicating a lot of time to actively avoiding them and drinking a lot of wine (JK Cindy!) in addition to derby work. We will be redesigning our website after this season so I am sure we will have a better way to fit the additional info on there in the future. Thanks so much for your patience.... :rofl:

And I appreciate the zinger about my dad...obviously he is super proud.  :yes:

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to the official rules and regulations: http://loc.org/RULES_AND_REGULATIONS.html Number 10 addresses weigh station hours of operation for the Fall Derby. 

The fish must be entered and weighed on the day it was caught (Rule #1!). It requires planning on the part of our participants to make sure you give yourself time to get in to a participating weigh station to ensure a qualifying weigh in. Here is the list of participating weigh stations: http://loc.org/Weigh_In_Stations.html.

This is also a good opportunity to remind participants of a couple things.....everyone needs to be fishing with at least one other person who is also registered for LOC. If you are on a boat, everyone on the boat must be registered. This promotes safe fishing practices and results in at least one witness for verification purposes. 

And please, don't eat your fish if you place... (Rules 11, 16 & 17)! Hang on to it. 

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Sarah