Prof T and I got pigs

Kevin J Legg

It doesn't get much better than that! You guys are skilled to the highest degree. I posed a question in one of the other threads asking about alewife activity. Being the addict I am, I'll start heading up there from Syracuse soon around 1 or 2 am, hit the eyes until 8 or so, then drive back home to work. Do it quite often. Knowing if the alewives are around thick will help me maximize that time, at least for my first trip. After that I'll know. Funny thing is, they never have alewives in their stomachs when I know they must be gorging on them.Similar in Otisco.

In my experience, the fish digest alewives fast except for the scales.  I discovered this once when my live well was full of sand after fishing a lake with a lot of alewives.  After closer scrutiny I realized that it was not sand but very small scales puked up by my catch - I never found any fish in their stomachs when I cleaned them.  We also find crayfish in walleyes in the river but I have never caught an eye on a crayfish or know anybody who has.  I think they slurp them up and digest them slowly.

Interesting. Upriver the alewives come in by the millions about now. On a calm night the entire river is boiling with them from 120 fow over the shipping channel all the way into shore. The eyes start to show up about that time. That's kinda why I've asked some questions in past posts about how you guys target the eyes at other times of the year. I'm almost certain the population I target is following those alewives in from the lake and eventually back out. I don't think there is a significant resident population year round in the upper River although the river structure and current is ideal. If they are there year round I've yet to locate them. Observations based on many years of hardcore SLR addiction :)