Biting flies

Bugspray for Biting Flies.  You can look it up on another post I believe by Chinook.  Comes in a little spray bottle and is quite effective. Make sure you get the one labeled for Biting flies.

I heard they don't like cedar. There was a sight that is out of business now that sold a type called hinoki , a Japanese cedar. Actually had a spray for mosquitoes and biting flies. I'm going to try regular cedar , also Off makes a spray that says for biting flies, it works OK.

Been at war with these little b#$%^@'s for a long time . My fishing buddy killed 250 in one afternoon with a fly swatter . The ONLY repellent that I have found that works ( at least any that works AND is safe for humans ) is Buggspray . The biting fly formula .  I did a little research and found that they are stable flies . How they get 15 miles off shore is another question .

www.buggspray.com

It's simple I figured out. First step is to keep the fish slime at bay as much as possible with a wash down or simple bucket and scrub floors. As for bug spray well for me I can't use it as I am allergic so I use Skin So Soft. Those things won't even come near me while others on the boat are bleeding like stuck pigs. Had a buddy of mine recommend it and works great.

Smashing them brings more! Pheromone response like bees!

I believe skin so soft works well. My buddy used it to keep black flies in Canada off him. That worked, but don't use it on your fore head like he did. Sweat mixed with it and ran into his eyes and then they swelled nearly shut, and was pretty painful.

I just wear long legged light coveralls and thicker socks or taller ankle shoes. Never a problem with that combo.

Keep the fish smell on the deck down. Even using familiar bite herring for bait needs to be cleaned up. Scrub brush with small amount of bar keepers friend cleansing powder/polish (available in grocery or hardware) will get smell out and clean deck very nicely if used on each wash down rinse.

Or bug- a-salt gun for fun!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Read that a spray or 1 part water 1 part vinegar and 1 part dawn dish liquid works. Tried it on the boat and it works for a short while. Smells terrible but at least it is non toxic

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They are Stable Flies.  They gather on the south shore of Lake Superior also.  They are bred and raised in the manure piles south of you.  They are worse after a nice warm southerly wind.  They can ruin an outing or clear a campground.

They will never bite through suntan oil, ever.  Just regular cheap, safe suntan oil.  The oil.  

Do not miss a spot, lay it on like you are a swim suit model.  Thick and oily.  No poisons.  

Not the best for fish attractant.  Few bug sprays are though.  It easier to get a fishing partner to spray you down than rub oil on you thighs....  A bar of soap and cloth to dry my hands are on my boat.  

Edited by youp50

I can see Ray K now...buffy fishing. Nice tanning oil sheen...and hey he didn't miss a spot! Even his bald head!

Didn't the coast guard just have to go investigate a mysterious sheen on the lake out from Oswego? Must have been dipping skinny...

Where is that lobster man?

I would rather put long pants and shoes with socks on, be a little warm around my ankles, than basted with tanning oil so thick you could slide across the deck, or horse spray that is toxic to humans and water...is this ground hawg day?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing I know is I have used horse spray on horses for 20 years, and on myself on a trail ride or fishing & it works, not something i use on me everyday. I have never had any issues with it. Tractor supply sells it.  If it was all that bad for you horse people would be in serious trouble.

Ok I think I'll stay away from the horse spray. I will try the suntan lotion, bug spray, thermocell and pine sol. I already wear long sleeve UV protective shirts but refuse to let those annoying little bastards force me into pants in July! This is war! Let the experiment begin. Have swatter-will fish! I will report back with results.

Ok I think I'll stay away from the horse spray. I will try the suntan lotion, bug spray, thermocell and pine sol. I already wear long sleeve UV protective shirts but refuse to let those annoying little bastards force me into pants in July! This is war! Let the experiment begin. Have swatter-will fish! I will report back with results.

:yes:

• 4 years later...