Biting flies

Reminds me of an old joke...

The US spent million dollars to invent a pen that would write in space..

The Russians used a pencil..

I just wear long pants...

Using sprays or lotions etc and guess what...

It's on your lures, in your eyes, it's all over cuz ppl cannot forward think...

I heard those flies have square teeth also... That's why their bite is so painful..

• Like 1

Best I have found:

More effective at repelling biting flies than DEET, Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent Spray with 20 Percent Picaridin is great for applying to skin as well clothing, outdoor gear, and more. Safe to use on the whole family, Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent Spray offers effective protection against common disease carrying nuisances like mosquitoes and ticks. Additionally, Picaridin is effective at repelling biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. This long-lasting topical spray with 20 percent Picaridin is effective for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and for up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. The non-greasy spray has a pleasant low odor that evaporates when dry, and it won't damage plastics of synthetic coatings. Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent Spray is safe for use on clothing, backpacks, synthetic fabrics, watches, sunglasses, and more.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1766235984?iid=112318090397

Edited by J.D.

• 2 weeks later...
Permethrins (Livestock insecticide) 2/3 oz. to 1 Gal H20... 

Ok to use if you’re a horse or a cow. Not for use in humans. Powerful carcinogen. Read the label

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Salt gun is more fun than a fly swatter, doesn't repel but you can shoot them off your buddies legs. Multi kills and in flight shots get bonus points

https://www.bugasalt.com/

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I never wear shorts and a t shirt on the boat. Its like a football player forgetting his pads and helmet. It’s just not worth it. Invest in some real fishing clothing— pants, long sleeve hoody.. There’s plenty of stuff out there that is breathable and comfortable. It has become my standard gear no matter what conditions.

I watched my buddy a few days ago get eaten alive… he was desperate for chemicals that don’t work while I didn’t even get a single bite with nothing but the proper clothing…

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/15/2021 at 12:42 PM, chinook35 said:

Ok to use if you’re a horse or a cow. Not for use in humans. Powerful carcinogen. Read the label
Every pesticide is a carcinogen if its going to do its job....ie, Kill bugs!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Over 2000 varieties of black flies and they all bite! Frank Forester (writer) says that he has never fished for the red fleshed trout of Hamilton County (Adirondaks) because of the scourge of the black fly which is especilly venomous to him. Most of North America is plagued by these monsters. The larva live in swift highly oxegenated waters.

The black flies he is referring to in the Adirondack region are only around in the late spring and early summer. They are tiny little critters with BIG teeth. You hardly feel the bite but they will draw blood and if you are sensitive to the bite ( as the writer is ) you will have a nasty itching bleeding bump for a long time  if you are outside in the north country in May you will have clouds of the things around your head. Most deet containing sprays will repel them for a while