Garmin Panoptix

I wrote a quick review in 'this old boat' section. In short, I've only had it out twice but love it already. Is it worth the $? Well, that is quite subjective but I'm already picking up as much overtime as possible so I can get the forward view, too. There are a bunch of conversations and info on panoptix on the BBC boards. That's the best info I've found from fresh water fisherman who have experience with the units. They're not all bass fisherman, either. Let me know if there are any more specific questions and I'll answer them the best I can.

Yeah it's pretty easy to understand what you're looking at. It really helps to enhance 2D sonar. When both are on you can watch a fish swim in from the side and as it enters the cone of the 2D sonar you watch the 2D mark appear. The 2D helps because its a historical view. The panoptix is real time, so if your not watching the screen as it happens, you can miss it. This is all in the real vu mode. I haven't used the 3D mode much yet. That looks like it has a little more of a learning curve.

If cost isn't important then the gpsmap 76xx xsv would be the way to go. They are networkable and can use an all-in-one 2d/side/downview all chirp transducer (gt50/gt51). The gpsmap 7xx xs series would be next (xs = chirp sonar). These are also networkable but need the gcv10 box for chirp sideview. This line may be being phased out. Starting to see price drops on them. The echomap series is compatible with the panoptix (would have to see the compatibility list for specific models). The echo maps are not networkable. I know there are a ton of choices. I currently have a 741xs, 721, and echomap 70s (discontinued) all networked to a gcv10 and gms10.