Opinions on the Hummingbird 688cxi HD combo?

Cabela's has the Hummingbird cxi HD combo on sale right now for only $199.99. It appears this GPS combo does not have the new down imaging ,but I am curious how much of an importance this really is? I have not used one of the new DI sonars yet so I am new to this new technology. Anyone have any opinions or experience with these please give me some insight on this. Currently I have an older Hummingbird Matrix 77c with gps but I wouldnt mind getting something newer that is not outdated like mine. Mine still works great for what I use it for but I also dont want to spend a lot of money getting something new right now so the $199.99 for the 688cxi HD sounded pretty good!!

Thanks guys for any advice!

post-159287-0-96614900-1467380165_thumb.png

I have the HD 798 c/w side imaging on the console (1000.00 CDN) and a 500 series on the bow for use with my trolling motor. I am happy with both. They are about 4-5 years old now. Looks like this unit is using the lake masters chip. I don't think the Lake Masters has very many options for Canadian lakes yet however...if they are selling it for 200.00...it is a great deal with or without the chip! I'm not sure about the new down imaging...both of my units send a signal down and display bottom contour, bait, fish etc. is this US or Canadian?

That unit has the same power as the larger screens. You don't need DI for trolling. 2D is all most will ever need. I have this unit for ice fishing and have fished lakers down to 140' with it. 

My recommendation though would be this. It offers a larger screen, and better resolution. - https://universalmania.com/humminbird-helix-7-sonar/

I have the 698 with GPS, side imaging and down imaging in my aluminum utility boat and I love it. You don't really "need" SI or DI, they are just extra gadgets to see things differently.

I also just picked up a new 959 with GPS on eBay for $600, and it's a great fit on my Bayliner Trophy. So keep looking, someone else might offer them at the right price.