Are there shops in our region that work on hull rivet replacement?

I am up in the air concerning the idea of buying a new boat or trying to "tighten up" my aluminum fishing boat that I love. I fished with this old friend for many moons and on many excursions to big lakes and small lakes and various rivers. She's been good. she has been re-powered recently. She has not let me down in bad water.

I'm noticing some loose rivets on the bottom of the hull and she could use a paint job. I want some new electronics and electric trolling equipment.

Anyone out there with some discussion points?

The are enough of us on here that have had experience with restoring old aluminum boats (in my case 1956 and 1986) and you have done the repower.

You need to define what you are trying to accomplish(hull rivets or something more) and someone can point you in the right direction.

Thanks MCF,

It is hull rivets. I want good solid work, somebody in our region who is boat oriented and understands hull issues. There seems to be maybe a half a dozen questionable rivets that may be contributing to some leakeage. Then I would like a new paint job. I am not sure if the local collision shop would be interested.

Also, Bozeman Bob I don't want to travel out side of maybe 75 miles of Buffalo.

Please, more advisement

Usually without fulling tearing out the floor and flotation foam, it's not going to be easy to repair or replace the solid rivets.  They do sell stronger aluminum pop-rivets for boat hulls that you can install directly.  They do require a stronger than normal rivet tool.   Drill/cut out the old rivets, coat the new ones liberally with 5200 sealant and set them.

Just as an FYI - if it is an older boat its possible the flotation foam could be saturated in areas adding a lot of extra weight to the boat that you don't know about.

I bought a air operated rivet gun that I did some aluminum boat repairs on. It does a way better job than any hand operated tool, just grind the head off and punch the old rivet threw, for the best job like stated above its best to replace old saturated foam, this way you can clamp the two pieces of aluminum together before riveting. A few of our local auto body shops paint boats also. I don't see why the local shops up there wouldn't do it for you? Either way keep us posted on your findings!!

Edited by pap