Blow boats have the right away unless you're in the act of fishing.

Negative   Recreational fishing is not considered "fishing"  as in commercial fishing . Recreational fishermen are just that . And follow all the rules of any recreational boater . You must give way to a sailing vessel under sail . If they are under power ,they must follow the same rules as any power boat . The question that was put here was a sailboat overtaking a power boat . The rules state the sailboat is the give way boat and the fishing boat is the stand on vessel . The power (fishing ) vessel must maintain it's heading (course) so that the sailing vessel can pass to port or starboard .

responsibilities between vessels - Who has the right of way?1. A power-driven vessel underway must keep out of the way of:-A vessel not under command (unable to maneuver). -A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.-A vessel engaged in fishing.*-A sailing vessel.2. A sailing vessel underway must keep out of the way: -A vessel not under command.-A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.-A vessel engaged in fishing.*3. A vessel engaged in fishing* when underway must, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:-A vessel not under command.-A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.*A vessel engaged in fishing does not include fishing with trollinglines or other apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability. (ie. Sport Fishing)

This from the NYS boaters guide. It's what I always went by.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

responsibilities between vessels - Who has the right of way?1. A power-driven vessel underway must keep out of the way of:-A vessel not under command (unable to maneuver). -A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.-A vessel engaged in fishing.*-A sailing vessel.2. A sailing vessel underway must keep out of the way: -A vessel not under command.-A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.-A vessel engaged in fishing.*3. A vessel engaged in fishing* when underway must, so far as possible, keep out of the way of:-A vessel not under command.-A vessel restricted in its ability to maneuver.*A vessel engaged in fishing does not include fishing with trollinglines or other apparatus which does not restrict maneuverability. (ie. Sport Fishing)

:yes:

Thats a good point! So is this though:

Boaters CODE OF ETHICS

1. I will respect the rights of all users of the recreational waterways, both on public waters and on adjacent private property.

2. I will be considerate at the launch ramps and docks. I will get on and off the ramps quickly and not delay others.

3. I will follow the navigation rules of the road around all other vessels. I will learn and observe my state’s rules on wake jumping.

4. I will give all fishing, anchored, or drifting vessels plenty of room.

5. I will always operate at headway speed in "no wake" zones.

6. When approaching the shore, I will be especially aware of swimmers and other craft near the shore.
  7. I will not disturb wildlife. I will avoid areas posted for the protection of wildlife.
  8. I will not litter the shore side and I will be careful with my fuel.
  9. I realize that my travel speed should be determined by my equipment, ability, weather and wave conditions, and especially other vessel traffic. In case of emergency, I will volunteer assistance.
  10. I will not interfere with or harass others. I realize that people judge all personal watercraft by my actions.
  11. I will pay close attention to the noise my vessel may make and be aware of how others on boats and on shore react to that noise.

In reality the original post is (in my opinion) reflecting on the manner in which he was treated in regards to this encounter. The operator of the sailing vessel was not using proper etiquette while operating his radio and shouting demands that were not directed at any one vessel specifically. This causes confusion and possibly could result in an accident. 

I almost got hit while my outboard was off and I was 100 feet off shore. Good thing I wasnt anchored and was able to start my boat up and reverse to safety. Guy just stared at me as he went by.

I was trolling north west quartering into waves at two and a half mph. He came up at 8-9 mph in line with the starboard stern corner of my boat. I don't have eyes in the back of my head.

Edited by whaler1

post-144505-1468193577219_thumb.jpgpost-144505-14681935866827_thumb.jpg

Had this guy almost T Bone me. I was in 225' out of Fair Haven and was all by myself. I thought his keel was going to take out my 600 copper. The pics don't do it justice of how close he was. If you zoom in you get a better idea