Try the fingerlakes out..... jeeeez.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My first experience with one was just south of Long Point on Seneca Lake.  He cut right in front of me I turned hard , yelled and threw my hands up in the air. He displayed a BIG smile and pointed his finger up at his mast. No sail , he was running a small out board. I them saw his fishing pole with line out the back. I turned some back and pointed at my down riggers. He look puzzled at me then grabbed his rod and started reeling like crazy....... too late a bit later I brought the rigger up and found a Yo Zuri lure hooked to my rigger wire. They were more $$$ than I wanted to spend back then,  

My first experience with one was just south of Long Point on Seneca Lake. He cut right in front of me I turned hard , yelled and threw my hands up in the air. He displayed a BIG smile and pointed his finger up at his mast. No sail , he was running a small out board. I them saw his fishing pole with line out the back. I turned some back and pointed at my down riggers. He look puzzled at me then grabbed his rod and started reeling like crazy....... too late a bit later I brought the rigger up and found a Yo Zuri lure hooked to my rigger wire. They were more $$$ than I wanted to spend back then,

Love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Two blow boat experiences that I remember vividly....first one off the genny , windy sw 3 footers. Sailboat comes in , turns right at us , obviously with no control. I had to swing my rigger in and grab the dock pole and he barely missed by feet. Response was " it's our turn when it's windy out here " second was on Seneca by the barge. Hooked into a big laker. Fish up on top, sailboat cutting across the stern sure path to cut fish. Yelled and pointed to the fish. The sail boat capt frantically ran around , grabbing ropes to change course with all he had. Apologies galore, missed the fish, dropped sail to watch us land the 13 lb laker . After he cheered the catch saud He didn't see we had lines in . Like anything its all about the individual. There are some good ones out there !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A few years ago I read a thread on the Finger Lakes Section with fishermen complaining about college students intentionally cutting across the stern of trolling fishermen close enough to take out all the lines with their keel. It was a long thread.

I suggested fisherman attach an orange float to a grapple hook and 100 ft. of rope trail  it when they approach, if they intentionally cut across, reel in what lines you can, when they contact the rope, hit the gas and take their rudder back home with you. The next day a professor replied " don't do that, I will stop them immediately, with all sorts of apologies "   I wonder how long the professor had been watching the thread. Do not try the grapple with a larger blow boat.

If you are the stand on vessel and a sail boat threatens your safety by irresponsible and dangerous boating, then IMMEDIATELY get on the radio and report him to the coast guard. 

Give as much info as possible and record it with video.  The fines are huge!  Even if no collision took place near misses are treated very seriously, and boater (like one of the posters that do not know the rules of the road) find out the hard way no one cares about ethics, or your misguided thoughts. 

Its rules that must be followed. I dont care if your nice or have ethics just so long as you follow the rules I can predict what your going to do and we are all safe.

If you are the stand on vessel and a sail boat threatens your safety by irresponsible and dangerous boating, then IMMEDIATELY get on the radio and report him to the coast guard. 

Give as much info as possible and record it with video.  The fines are huge!  Even if no collision took place near misses are treated very seriously, and boater (like one of the posters that do not know the rules of the road) find out the hard way no one cares about ethics, or your misguided thoughts. 

Its rules that must be followed. I dont care if your nice or have ethics just so long as you follow the rules I can predict what your going to do and we are all safe.

Great post, I wish I knew that.  It would have made for great video.

And regardless of the fact your a USCG Master or not your held to the USCG Rules of the road, not inland lakes on Lake Ontario, and most of the other lakes because of the canal system.

Keep in mind they cant just be pissing you off, it has to be real danger of collision. Many people think they own the lake, and the first 1/2 mile around them, that's not so. Some one passing you safely can be fairly close in good weather and light winds, without presenting any danger to you (speed dependant as well).  In rivers people pass all the time at 20 to 50 yards with no issues, your planer boards are not part of your boat regardless how you feel. 

I see a lot of guys get mad about stuff that's not dangerous it just pisses them off.  We all screw up, and have stuff screw up (like kicker control arms sliding all the way out and getting right in the way of the guy behind me, cause the dam boat didn't steer) and need to remember we are having fun together. 

We had one come take us over in wilson this may. Almost ran over our otter board and our 300 copper. Didn't give a crap until I started yelling and saying some foul words. Come to find out not only was he wrong to take us over like that he had the motor running

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1468193576.729834.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1468193586.351768.jpg

Had this guy almost T Bone me. I was in 225' out of Fair Haven and was all by myself. I thought his keel was going to take out my 600 copper. The pics don't do it justice of how close he was. If you zoom in you get a better idea

Wish you had a spin cast rod & reel and casted a old salmon snagger rig into the sails to wake the idiot up. JMO. Come to think about it my potato gun would have been more exciting LOL.

Honestly I was more dumbfounded but was taking place. By the time I saw him 1/2 mile away and he kept his course straight at me I thought for sure he would alter his course slightly. I was trolling at 2 mph and even altered my course by 50* to just get this far away

Edited by bout time

And regardless of the fact your a USCG Master or not your held to the USCG Rules of the road, not inland lakes on Lake Ontario, and most of the other lakes because of the canal system.

Keep in mind they cant just be pissing you off, it has to be real danger of collision. Many people think they own the lake, and the first 1/2 mile around them, that's not so. Some one passing you safely can be fairly close in good weather and light winds, without presenting any danger to you (speed dependant as well). In rivers people pass all the time at 20 to 50 yards with no issues, your planer boards are not part of your boat regardless how you feel.

I see a lot of guys get mad about stuff that's not dangerous it just pisses them off. We all screw up, and have stuff screw up (like kicker control arms sliding all the way out and getting right in the way of the guy behind me, cause the dam boat didn't steer) and need to remember we are having fun together.

thanks for the very concise and true post on this subject. Fishermen must realize that the boards and 400 ft coppers and lead codes are not part of their boat and should not be part of the equation If there is another boat close by , get the long lines out of the way Edited by chinook35

When there is an entire lake with no one else around, there is no need to pass that close to another vessel. It's just common courtesy.

Absolutely right...I ain't pulling lines because the only spec on the horizon. ..meaning clear visibility...comes straight to my position that is only changing at 2.5 mph. That is just plain inconsiderate. The horizon at 6 ft above sea level is more than a mile away...

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One of the critical factors running through the thread relates to basic courtesy. Unfortunately it is becoming a rare quality in American life these days.  The exploding road rage cases lately are another indicator.  Instead of thinking about getting out the flare gun for a broadside hit on the offending boat we may need to collect ourselves a bit and get perspective on the situation. We've all been there emotionally but these days especially being right or having the right of way may be irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. Many folks out there are operating with a very short (or no) fuse and it really isn't worth it getting into it with them and some of them seem to be operating on "low voltage" in terms of intelligence as well :lol: and that always has the makings of a bad situation.

One of the critical factors running through the thread relates to basic courtesy. Unfortunately it is becoming a rare quality in American life these days. The exploding road rage cases lately are another indicator. Instead of thinking about getting out the flare gun for a broadside hit on the offending boat we may need to collect ourselves a bit and get perspective on the situation. We've all been there emotionally but these days especially being right or having the right of way may be irrelevant in the larger scheme of things. Many folks out there are operating with a very short (or no) fuse and it really isn't worth it getting into it with them and some of them seem to be operating on "low voltage" in terms of intelligence as well[emoji38]and that always has the makings of a bad situation.

You're are absolutely right too Les! I spend weeks on end on the highways. .5000 miles a week. I have the sense that more than half the population has little regard for courtesy and forethought for the obvious. Most unintentional, unknowingly lucky, indicated by the curious looks on their puss when you act enraged or speak threats to their aloof nature. Human nature and laws doesn't coexist on the same plane. Unless you intentionally cause harm back to an offensive individual, in essence lobbing snag hooks, firing flares etc...now who's really in trouble. If the nuisance happens intentional then you must report it. Many times I have wanted to educate individuals who intended me harm out here on the road, almost every day, it's hard not to, but if you can avoid the harm, you just ruined THEIR day. Report them. Better yet have witness. I've had idiots try to get ME in trouble on the road, even call cops on me for trying my best to accommodate their stupidity with as much evasive action as possible, even though they did not follow the law of yield. Which by the way is a courtesy law only. When you get into an accident from not yielding right of way, then it becomes a point of who did or didn't. When someone knows they did it, and you can tell by the usual insults, and you are with others in company (witnesses) just turn away, and discretely give them the finger...back!

I'm still not pulling lines. If they are close enough to haul my gear. They are close enough for a picture and registration numbers to send a copy of bills for replacement, along with a copy of picture of their dumbfounded puss looking back. Note attached... my attorney is expensive. Reply soon.

Relax, and fish on....the roadways out here are enough in terms of 4 million miles of intense idiot avoidance. So far so good, earth and sea. No jail time yet.....

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app