They cluster on it and prevent the line from coming through the tip and eyelets of the rod. THe 30 lb Blood Run Sea Flee is one of the few lines that seems to largely minimize this and previously Cortland Line company made a line called Flea Flicker that also did the job fairly well. Some folks use standard line at 30 lb test (e.g. Berkeley Big Game). The reason for the 30 lb test if that the larger diameter is though to keep the fleas from adhering well to the line. The Sea Flee also has a rather slick coating which helps shed the fleas. The line also has considerable stretch so it takes a little getting used to on downriggers  etc.but it is well worth using. I use a 20 lb Seagaur fluoro leader for Ontario and 12 lb for the Finger Lakes.

Although the 40 lb Big Game may work I don't think really there are any "fool proof" solutions as I have seen huge deposits of fleas on even thicker lines and downrigger cable as well clogged so bad  it couldn't be retrieved.  There are different varieties of fleas which have slightly different habits and "abilities" to cling. A lot of times folks believe that they are using things that fully work until they encounter the densities I am referring to. The fleas are distributed differently indifferent sections of bodies of water and at different levels or stratifications so that when your line is in a vertical position and you happen to encounter them in clusters the problem varies in severity from none to fully loaded lines.

Edited by Sk8man

I'm kinda of a newbie to salmon fishing on the big lake...I took the advise from people on this forum a few years ago and switched from 30lb to 40lb and the problem pretty much disappeared. Nowhere near the build up on 40...30 was covered and took some time to clear. Still lots to learn but catching fish now and having a blast!

For my divers, 30 lb Fireline fused original. About the best with divers and non stretch. Ran it next to the 30 lb wire for the same troll and it was better than wire. Riggers, well good luck, but you only need a section long enough to fish your depths of normal vertical distance to the ball, so use heavy mono, 40, 50, maybe even 60. You can go back to braid for a backing.

The fused original is slick and works fairly well, but nothing is perfectly clean with diver rigs. I've even gotten fleas on the treble hooks of spoons when it's thick.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app