Coolers

I have a few coleman marine coolers thier tough and hold ice for days yet affordable

X2. I had a 1988 Troller boat that the Coleman doubled as a seat with a removable snap on seat cushion that is still in action to this day as a cooler/fish box. My dad bought the boat off a Gulf War Vet in 1993. The Veteran bought the boat new in 1988. 28 years later still going strong. I replaced the drain fitting a few years ago and the hinges to the lid with brass house hold hinges. Still holds ice for 3+ days. Made some 20+ years worth of trips on 18hrs plus trips to Canada filled with our grub for a weeks fishing and our catch on the way home still froze solid. Wouldn't buy any other best bang for your buck!!

I got a giant Coleman "extreme" at Walmart...guaranteed to stay cold for three days of 70 degree temps...$73.00. It's actually over sized for my 18' Starcraft, shoulda got the next size smaller which would have been a better fit and large enough for non-commercial use. Look in sporting goods/boat area. Not always in stock..check several area stores.

I have a Coleman extreme 5 day cooler, forget the size. Also have a smaller igloo 5 day cooler. Igloo is the better cooler, way more insulation but the Coleman is great as well. I can't say anything bad about the yeti but they just seem way overpriced. Maybe they are worth it?

Yeti= overpriced...... There are several other rotomolded brands that are equally absurd as it relates to price..... Rtic seems to be a good value for performance.

also explain the three month wait for a freaking cooler... they should stop advertising and shut down orders to get caught up.  Also should make a larger one as well! I would love to see a 100+

Yeti= overpriced...... There are several other rotomolded brands that are equally absurd as it relates to price..... Rtic seems to be a good value for performance.

Cabela's has their own version of the yeti, still $250 OUCH, I have yet to need to keep fish froze for a week, in the cooler, filleted in the freezer at camp. Froze fish in cooler with a 4hr ride home, in freezer again.

I have a 36qt pelican that I got for 200 on clearance from Wally world.  It was comparable to a 500 version yeti.  Used it once when I vacation.

I have a 36qt 5 day for 20  I got on clearance from Wally world.  Use it all the time.

I have a 28qt 5 day for 15 I got on clearance from Wally world.  Use it all the time.

I have various other ones some larger that I use for bait storage.  some are soft packs.

What do you need?  Once you know that, your options are endless...  Don't overthink it. 

I cant speak to the back order issue Rtic is having....Except that as a consumer products mfg in this economy thats a good problem to have from their point of view..... They better iron out production issues or the demand wont last. As for the sizes offered, I bet the 100qt has lower sales volume to warrant the cost of putting it into production. Bet as the company matures we will see the big boys come out.

I have a Coleman extreme or whatever it's called. Bought it at wallyworld years ago living in Georgia. I'd fill it with drinks and ice and it's keep ice 5+ days in the bed of the truck in the Savannah heat. Cooler had to be packed as full as possible to last that long. I still have it but don't use it for fishing

U got that right. When we camp, I have one cooler just for food and most meats go into it frozen etc. then one cooler just for drinks for the reason you stated

I'm a bit of a cooler snob.   Im not into Yeti but i do have a couple pelicans - amazing coolers with a lifetime warranty.   i also have a giant coleman.   it depends on your usage...  the pelican will keep fish frozen for almost a week - crazy good.   the coleman only a day or two at most.   the one drawback to the pelican and yeti type product is the weight, and reduced storage area from the excessive wall thickness.   it really depends on what you want.   i bought the pelican because i wanted my fish to stay safe for a day or two if i couldnt get to them quickly.   well worth the money in that aspect.  i use them all!   

Question becomes: do you need a day trip cooler or one that will hold thru 3-5+ days while sitting in the sun. I agree that some of the coleman coolers are a great value. I've had them. Including the marine extreme variants. However, when I'm up fishing over a 3-day weekend or especially on 10+ day extended stays at the lake, moving beverages to and from the boat each morning and night because the cooler doesn't keep em cold gets old fast. Not to mention getting ice to last and the constant replenish of it. I was so sick of the twice a day beverage/ice routine... something had to be done.

At some point you anny-up and spring for a better quality cooler. There are many out there that folks have already mentioned. I went with Yeti and current own 3. The amount of time and hassle I save having these aboard is well worth it to me. 2 frozen milk jugs in the yeti and beverages stay in the boat and ice cold for 3+ days. No hassle. No wasted time.

This use case may not fit everyone's fishing routine, but if you find yourself in the above situation, do yourself a favor and buy a quality cooler. Whatever the brand, you'll be so happy that you did.

Edited by FleetTracker

Question becomes: do you need a day trip cooler or one that will hold thru 3-5+ days while sitting in the sun. I agree that some of the coleman coolers are a great value. I've had them. Including the marine extreme variants. However, when I'm up fishing over a 3-day weekend or especially on 10+ day extended stays at the lake, moving beverages to and from the boat each morning and night because the cooler doesn't keep em cold gets old fast. Not to mention getting ice to last and the constant replenish of it. I was so sick of the twice a day beverage/ice routine... something had to be done.

At some point you anny-up and spring for a better quality cooler. There are many out there that folks have already mentioned. I went with Yeti and current own 3. The amount of time and hassle I save having these aboard is well worth it to me. 2 frozen milk jugs in the yeti and beverages stay in the boat and ice cold for 3+ days. No hassle. No wasted time.

This use case may not fit everyone's fishing routine, but if you find yourself in the above situation, do yourself a favor and buy a quality cooler. Whatever the brand, you'll be so happy that you did.

Exactly the thinking I had in puchasing the grizzly I have. I do have the 150 igloo and it's not a bad cooler if you don't beat it up, but that is some of its virtue in the rough use it gets in my boat. It wasn't expensive, so if it wrecks up, no big deal. It has gotten many battle scars, latches have broken off, dropped block ice in and cracked the liner, lid is warped a little from being used as a step or seat. It keeps a couple gallon jugs frozen long enough for day use to collect fish in and I don't care so much about its aesthetic value because it gets fishy and gurly. The fish stay cold for the day and that's good enough, even had fish over nite in it. Not bad...however the Ice I put in is recyclable in jugs of my freezer, I wouldn't buy ice everyday for it and have the ice I bought get fishy and gurly. So it's not for food, or for even processed fish.

The grizzly keeps enough clean ice for days and days on end. If I want good ice for the fish cooler for a day, I go to the full grizzly with ice and scoop out enough to use for the day in the old igloo to keep bait, or fish cold for the day. Then I always have clean ice left in it for margaritas around the fire later, or martinis in case the sailors come by. It's like my personal ice vendor for a long weekend even if I don't keep food or drinks in it, it makes a good ice storage container that saves buying ice that melts away in a day. So the igloo has its place, and the grizzly has its virtues. What is strange is that I beat the hell out of the igloo in the boat, and the more robust grizzly sits pretty much idle with ice and food. Could be cause it's so dang heavy!..the igloo makes a good coffin box for a day, but wouldn't want to take it on an off the grid excursion by any means. Ice can be a very guarded commodity in an out camp situation that the igloo type would be no where up to that task.

In the end, cost is not my first, in considering a cooler for what it should do. However, I did not buy the Yeti, because it is THE MOST expensive of the roto molded type coolers, no better than comparable of those type, so cost did have a second considering to choice of function. Take the best deal you can get on any of those roto molded type if you need it, and you won't be disappointed in most of their function. Company to consumer relationship is a big factor too, especially when forking out the big bucks for one.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app