SLR Limit 7/6

border_angler

Limited out this morning in just over an hour solo. Bottom bouncing crawler harnesses chartreuse and orange was the hot color. 26, 24, and 19 inches. 19 was full of gobies 26 had stomach full of zebra mussels, anybody else seen walleye eat zebra mussels before?post-159964-14678131046876_thumb.jpgpost-159964-14678131161336_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking limit Border Angler. Way to go. Interesting that it was full of zebras. I could understand a few eaten when feeding near bottom but to be full of them it must have been intentional snacking?

Kevin, nice limit. I caught an eye earlier this season that had 2 large gobies in its stomach and a lot of Zebra muscles, as well. At first I thought maybe they were in the gobies but I quickly realized some of the zebras were likely too big to be eaten whole by a gobie. I guessed ( after doing some reading) that the zebras may be in the stomach due to feeding on the gobies holding to bottom. When a walleye feeds it flares its gill plates and inhales a column of water sucking its prey into its mouth.... I suspect this garners the gobie and some zebra muscles simultaneously. In instances where the gobie manages to evade the strike, I bet the walleye occasionally gets a mouth or throat full of zebras.... Just a theory based on how eyes predate.

Incidentally, as Im sure all of you probably know.... (I didnt until I read a neat biology white paper on walleye) the suction method of striking that walleye employ, is why us anglers experience the infamous short strike..... If our terminal gear is too heavy to be easily taken into the walleyes mouth during the gill flare they short strike. As a relative newbie to walleye fishing, thought this info was pretty cool.

Nice limit border and catch for you as well, Kevin.

I personally fished 4 to 5:30 AM for two 17 inchers. Needed to hit the freezer for tonight's fish dinner for company. They'll never know.

Edited by Prof T

That was my thought too.... But the fish I caught had fairly large zebras in its gut. Some of them seemed too large to be ingested by a gobitron. I dont believe they were all in the gobies... But then again, what the heck do I kno, lol.

Reading what everybody says about how they thing the mussels get in there stomachs.

Just my thoughts, why arent there small rocks in the stomachs as well?

If they miss the gobies why wouldnt they spit it like a hard bodied lure or lead jig like they do when you dont set the hook at first?

Would the mussels be to large to pass thru digestive tract if inhaled?

So do they digest or regurgitate?

Nice catch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Reading what everybody says about how they thing the mussels get in there stomachs.

Just my thoughts, why arent there small rocks in the stomachs as well?

If they miss the gobies why wouldnt they spit it like a hard bodied lure or lead jig like they do when you dont set the hook at first?

Would the mussels be to large to pass thru digestive tract if inhaled?

So do they digest or regurgitate?

Nice catch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If my memory serves me right I think they eat the innards of the zebras. I think that's why they the "gobies" hang around the mussels

I was chatting with my uncle about the dead muskie.... He is a life long and avid muskie angler..... He was telling me that there have been several dead muskies found this spring. He suggested taking any floater muskies to Dr Farrell on Governors Isl..... To Kevin's point, the concern is VHS or perhaps something else causing greater than usual mortality. Just a thought if you guys come across any more floaters.