Chasing Eyes in the Big O

EsoxAC3

Im fishing Ontario eyes with a buddy for the first time this season. Wondering if anyone has had any luck around Stoney Isl, Calf Isl, Duck Isl, etc. Kinda looking for a place to start. Launching from Chaumont. Any and all thoughts very much appreciated. Thank you in advance and Tight lines!!

Hi,

I'm not an expert or anything on eyes, but I have had good luck with walleyes this time of the year off Everleigh Point and Bull rock point since you are launching from Chaumont Bay. I'm sure more experienced fishermen on here might point you in some other directions also.

The eye are in their migration mode towards the Bay of Quinte, but not all make the treck to Canada, there are many resident fish to be had. Coming out of Chaumont Bay it drops into 60-90 feet with a 30ft deep peninsula, get a map of the NE Onterio and you will see what I'm talking about. Also around Cherry Isl is good this time of the year. Out of Henderson Stoney point light house there is a place called the Wall, many eyes are taken from this area but it is very tricky to fish, I would do a few trial runs, and it has to be calm for you to do this. Also there is a green can off the sunken island it drops from 5ft into 90ft work the drop offs of that island, below the can in 60ft troll strait to the Canadian border. Just one thing to keep in mind about LakeO eye fishing is about quality not quantity to get your 1 man limit 3 you will be on fire!! If you need more help pm me and I will try to help you out. Black/silver Bomber Long A's and silver/blue or any 5-6" stick bait that resembles Alewives or goby brown, snap weights work good, like 75ft out snap weight and another 75 ft out at 1.8-2.0 mph. Good luck to you!! You can fish the Black River, she gives up some nice eyes also. PAP

Thanks for the great info PAP, bobby,and Kevin..... Know I can always count on the great guys here at LOU to help a poor soul out. Dont fish the lake very often ( couple times of year open water)........ Picking a spot to start in such a vast ocean is daunting. The guy im fishing with has more lake o experience but he just got into town for the summer and this will be his first time fishing this year. I will keep you posted on results. Thank you all again. Tight lines.