"NYS Sportsmen Oppose Grannis Nomination"

larry

Dear Friends,

"NYS Sportsmen Oppose Pete Grannis' Nomination" If you read about it in Sundays' paper (section local 7B)or know of how ANTI-sportsman this nomination for the head of the DEC by Gov. Spitzer is, you'll take the minute to add your name to the petition against this nomimation. Here's

your chance to be heard.

Just copy the link to your

browser window and read through some of the legislation this guy has

orchestrated.

I have just read and signed the online petition:

"NYS Sportsmen Oppose Grannis Nomination"

hosted on the web by PetitionOnline.com, the free online petition service, at:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/nogranni/

I personally agree with what this petition says, and I think you might agree, too. If you can spare a moment, please take a look, and consider signing yourself.

I haven't had time to read all the links on that petition, but I refuse to sign it due to the quote below.

"Further, Mr. Grannis has worked to DENY access to NYS Residents to public trails and parks, enjoyed by many thousands of hunters, anglers, snowmobilers, ATV enthusiasts, campers, hikers, climbers, et al., while denying basic protection services in the Adirondack State Forest, through his continued blocking of construction of Cell Phone Towers to provide communications coverage to NYS residents and non-residents alike, who enjoy and learn from the natural beauty of this region. Through his actions to block such construction of very non-invasive cell phone towers, two individuals lost their lives as they could not call for help. "

Cell towers in the Adirondacks go against the grain. It's a WILDERNESS AREA, when you enter the wilderness help should not be expected to be a phone call away. Further more, morons now skip their way into these remote areas without survival gear. My friend is a ranger out of Keeseville and and had gotten calls from visitors asking where to find water, or for directions because they didn't prepare. If you can't go without a phone, buy a satillite phone, works anywhere. I also see a poorly masked attempt to group ATV's and Snowmobiles with other user groups. ATV's on State Land? Ain't never going to happen.... I don't see Grannis as a breath of fresh air to the Agency, at least not to the forest and wildlife divisions. But we as sportsman have to pick our battles better. Even with his past voting record, he was representing his constituants, who are anti hunting, anti trapping and very poorly informed. Where Grannis may excell is pollution issues and other environmental concerns.

I am not trying to way anyone elses opinion, just offering my two cents.

I did a little research at work and found this email that helps painta fuller picture of the potential commissioner.

Some interesting comments form Mr. Grannis:

----- Original Message -----

To: NYSCCpresident

Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 9:26 PM

Subject: Mr. Grannis for Commissioner

Hello All,

I believe that we must question people who may gain a position that could be used in a way detrimental to our way of life.

I have questioned Assemblyman Grannis about the legislation he has introduced that would be detrimental to trapping and hunting.

Mr. Grannis stated that he is an active fly-fisherman and grew up in the midwest, hunting and fishing with his father and brothers.

Mr. Grannis stated that when he sponsored the legislation to add wild game and birds to the animal anti-cruelty laws, (Bill #A3006), he made sure to add a provision that it would not prohibit or interfere in any way with anyone lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping or fishing. This legislation was initiated because of news reports about people setting rabbits and squirrels on fire,slitting throats of geese and swans and shooting hawks. Its intent was to stop the torture of animals by a few depraved individuals.

Mr. Grannis stated that, as a legislator, his legislation reflects the interests of the people that elected him. The trapping legislation was the result of public outcry about pets being caught in traps.

Mr. Grannis stated that as Commissioner of the Department of Enviromental Conservation, he will have a much different focus, with responsibilities well beyond those of an individual legislator. He will have all New Yorkers to work for so that everyone can enjoy our natural resources. Mr. Grannis stated that he is looking forward to working with the sportsmen of this state.

Not all of Mr. Grannis' votes were bad to sportsmen. One in particular was that he did vote to allow the hunting age for small game to be lowered to 12 when that came up for a vote a few years back.

If Mr. Grannis is confirmed as Commissioner of DEC, I hope he will work as hard for sportsmen as he did for his constituents in the 65th Assembly District.

For the record, at this time, the NYSCC DOES NOT SUPPORT OR OPPOSE Mr. Grannis for Commissioner of the Department of Enviromental Conservation.

Mr. Grannis also stated that he will be at the NYSCC legislative meeting to answer questions.

Yours in Conservation,

Harold L. Palmer

President

New York State Conservation Council Inc.

What I said, or at least what I meant was that a cell tower within the wilderness areas of the Adirondack Park (note, the entire park is not a wilderness area) kinda goes against the intent not to mention the State Constitution. NYS does have a remarkable Trails system up there for Sleds, but if you are to venture as you say, 50 miles off the road then there are certain risks that you understand before entering. As for the accident you refer to, its unfortunate but it happens. Personally I hope they are alright. What I think is tragic is that you seem to feel that NY forested lands can't be used or enjoyed without a cell phone strapped to your hip. 20 years ago they were practically unheard of, how did people ever cope?? As for the ATV trails on NYS Forest Land, aside from handicapped access permits, I really don't believe you can ride on State Land. You may be referring to some of the recent aquisitions thru conservation easements, in those cases, i am not sure what the regs are. Like you I am all for getting out and enjoying what the State has to offer, but some areas do have limitations, and that has to be recognized before you enter. (but the groomers are pretty cool, got to ride on one a few years back '98 after the ice storm)

FWIW I am a Forester and part time logger, my words aren't just air, I can walk the walk. I know what risk is.

This post started over Grannis, not my view on Adirondack Policy. Actually, Grannis would probably be a good allie to the those that fish the big O, his regulatory agenda would only help to clean the waters and sustain our fishery. As for other issues, I have my doubts. And so does the State, they are holding off his confirmation until they gather more info.