Lead Core suggestions needed

border_angler

I'd buy a 10 color Suffix 27lb and split it 5 on to each. Remember if you have 5 on the reel you can put 3 out but if you have 3 on the reel you can't put 5 out

Edited by Landshark

Thanks for the suggestions. Will it damage the lead core if I clip it to boards? I was only going to run 3 or 5 colors so I would clip my boards onto the backing. If it doesn't damage the lead core line then I will run the full 10 colors.

If you want the. For walleye, IMO there is no need to have 10 color. That would put you down 60 ft as opposed to 30ft on a 5 color. No need to fish that deep for walleye. They will come up 30 ft to hit a bait even if they were 60 down not to mention those deep fish are usually not active fish.

30 lb braid such as Power Pro as backing (small diameter yet very strong and little to no stretch so light hits show up better than on mono). If running from boards replace any plastic pins or releases with metal ones (e.g. Calumet marine has them for the Church boards) because the braid will cut into them over time. If not using the full 5 colors consider using small rubber bands such as those used for girls hair found in most department stores and should break easily with a decent walleye hit unless the fish just swims along with the lure in his mouth :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Shark;

I typically run @ least two  boards/side on my boat, & we all take care to notice the boards positions when first sent out, when we have an eye/fish on, that board will drop back from it's position in the formation, we then retrieve that line, & hopefully land a nice eye.

John

Landshark makes a good point......regardless of what you use for backing or leaders etc. with walleyes you almost have to think of the board situation as using bobbers as potential indicators. I always watch the boards and rod tips very closely for clues about what is going on out there . A lot of time the boards will dip down at the back end and bob up and down slightly in between the waves with a small fish or one that is conserving energy by just riding along when they should be a little bit slack at that time. This is especially evident when pulling something that is fairly steady through the water like a worm harness rather than a diver  or something with erratic action. They can be a little better detected when braid is used because of the lack of stretch.

Edited by Sk8man

Ten colors are the way to go on Erie if you only have a few rods. Ten color catches fish all year. Don't be scared to fish to deep. It's wrong to think that all the fish are up high because of temp. Dragging bottom with a ten core is a great technique.

If I have 5 colors of lead core but only want to put out 3 behind an inline board, is there a method to attach the clip without damaging the lead core line?

Use weak rubber bands to attach the leadcore to releases such as those girls use on their hair which can be purchased at "dollar" stores or most department stores or Michael's  or Joann Fabrics.They even have them in fluorescent orange and lime green for easy visibility :) 

My fav is a 5 color micro lead gets me down about 35 ft by its self then if I need deeper I'll use a snap weight on the lead core I can hit 60 ft with no problem. But my lead core is normally my high lines and then I use Dipsy to get the down deep fish and maybe a heavy bottom bouncer or 6 lol!!

I clip my core to the boards, 27#, and get away with it. The leader is 100 foot of fluorocarbon. 5 colors and deep diving plugs can get deeper or a clip weight. 3 ounces added to get down to 100 foot for those big smelt eaters on the bottom.