Recomendations on downrigger cable ?

Lost a probe and ball this weekend and noticed a frey on my other rigger, luckely I caught the second one before it broke. I currently run mag 10 stx downriggers with fifteen lb weights, the cable currently on them is about 1 year old and is Cannons stock cable nothing fancy. I also use snubbers to absorb the shock on these riggers. With that being said I am going to replace the cable on my riggers just curious to see what everybody perfers to run on their riggers. I'v heard scotty makes some descent stuff but have never tried it. Any suggestions ???

Kempie hit on the critical part of it. I've used Canon wire as well as Mason etc. with good results. The main problem is not the wire itself at that 150 or 200 lb test it is the terminus connection. There are many ways to do it some of which don't use crimping but I've always crimped and have never had a problem but care needs to be taken in the specific way the crimping is done and to a degree the size and type of crimp used.  In my view this is much more important than the brand of wire used. I have one downrigger that still has the original Canon wire on it from 1985 (looks brand new but with a couple feet of wire missing due to re-terminating over time). Muchof the time problems relate to using the wrong size crimp sleeve when terminating. If the inside diameter of the crimp sleeve is too large the compression on the wire can be uneven and ineffective. Also if the walls of the crimp sleeve are too thin and then pinched at the very ends the wire can bend back and forth under weight especially when dangling out of the water during wave action and possible spinning of the weight  can contribute to separation of the strands of wire or actually break at that point. If the correct diameter sleeve with thicker walls is used and a crimp is applied such there is one near (but not at) each of the ends but on opposite sides of the sleeve you shouldn't have problems with it. As I recall a size number 4 or 5 black sleeve (Jann's Netcraft) is the one for the common 150 lb SS wire.

Edited by Sk8man