St. Lawrence and cell phones at the borders

Hi all,

Going up to the islands for a week fishing around the Goose Bay area.  Is there anything we should be aware of when it comes to cell coverage and having to deal with being that close to Canada?

We'll be running around all over the islands and I don't want to get stuck with roaming or international charges.  

Verizon is expensive enough without tacking on enormous extra charges.

Thanks!

You should get a text message stating welcome to Canada if your bouncing off their tower. Your phone will alert you are about to incur international rates, and give you the option to accept or decline. Decline and you will lose service until you get back into reach of US towers. Your phone will search for service and and crush your battery. Turn it off completely, or put it in airplane mode to still have your camera for pics of your trophy fish. We do it all the time while fishing the shipping channel, and such.

You can get an international plan from Verizon for the time you are there for a fee of about 25.00 per line. The other suggestion I have is turn your data off as soon as you cross the border or you will get nailed with huge data related charges. If you're not on wifi at your camp, the data charges will accrue quickly

Great...thanks guys.

We'll have WiFi... so my son and his buddy won't go insane.

:)

Airplane mode... got it.  And that's cool that we'll get text warnings too.  I've been out of the country before with no Verizon at all and that's what I ended up doing.

All I really care about is the camera to take pictures of my friends catches.  I suck at fishing so I'll probably end up playing charter captain for him all week anyway.  He can catch walleye on an old shoe.

Just turn off the roaming. I get the text messages all the time. If you do get charged call them and explain that you never left the US. You can still use your phone even in Canadian waters.

Edited by lost a lure