Boat Battery

dickey

I am looking for suggestions for new boat battery. I have a 60hp outboard, radio, and fish finder hooked up along with switches for lights and sump pump. Do I go with another marine starting battery? A deep cycle battery, or a AGM battery? Do I hook everything up to one battery or have motor on one battery and radio/fish finder on another? 

Right now I have everything on a Die Hard Marine Battery

Thanks for your help!

Two deep cycle group 24 is better than one, you can do one, but if you can afford the best AGM, that would be good for one. If you do 2 batteries you should put a battery switch in and isolate one from the other so you could dedicate one to the house load, and one to the starting chores. Always good to have a backup just in case.

The Bigger AGM is probably enough for everything and way lighter than 2 group 24 batteries.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by skipper19

I put in 2 group 27 start/ deep cycle, one for my main motor and the other for all the other goodies, my local marinia talked me into the start/trolling batteries he claims that's the best of both worlds, these batteries don't discharge as fast yet can handle the fast recharge of a alternator, I know from being in the starter and alt business for 22 years that a deep cycle only battery needs to be charged slow as it discharges slow, also this type battery is hard on alternators as they want to blow amperage into the battery that can't accept that kind of a load which in turns blows diodes in the alternator, where the start/trolling battery can accept this type of return from the alt.

I put in 2 group 27 start/ deep cycle, one for my main motor and the other for all the other goodies, my local marinia talked me into the start/trolling batteries he claims that's the best of both worlds, these batteries don't discharge as fast yet can handle the fast recharge of a alternator, I know from being in the starter and alt business for 22 years that a deep cycle only battery needs to be charged slow as it discharges slow, also this type battery is hard on alternators as they want to blow amperage into the battery that can't accept that kind of a load which in turns blows diodes in the alternator, where the start/trolling battery can accept this type of return from the alt.

Good point pap. I meant ealier to suggest 27 group too. As well as the dual purpose cycle/start battery.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app