Onondaga Lake Bassin' 7/11

tman12

My buddy Jason (yankeejman1042)and I decided to hit up Onondaga and fish the shores for bass today. Weather was beautiful, water was 77 degrees, and the fish were biting. Here's a couple highlights. Heading back out Friday, more to come.

f344d99d93da822819bf4ad8ccddc64d.jpgf2bf69d2e6a819d1ef3282d3da9cf693.jpg4de21cba517e8517e9ab75ce3b8aea9d.jpg

12af03dc9f7049d063bdb04126f9dfb5.jpgf07932b8a2d9973068d0ec4aae945d2e.jpghttps://vimeo.com/174298513

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Looks like a nice summer bass day. Perfect! And was that a topwater lure with those weeds? Never fished Onondaga. Plenty of great bass places (smallies and largemouths) around my area. If you like topwatering for them, try a Rapala flatrap (they cast really well) or, even better, flyroding with poppers or sponge rubber bugs!

Nice work! Great bass there for sure. I had 2 groups out for bass here on Otisco last few days and we scored just about everywhere we went. Our best big fish pattern was off shore floating docks with water over 10 feet deep....ones with hard bottoms had smallies and those with weeds and soft bottom had largies. Weightless dead sticked senkos for the largies and kitechs on a drop shot for smallies. Give it a try next time here...

Thanks guys! Panfisher, it was a booyah pad crasher, and thanks for the suggestions. Justin, thanks for the info and tips. Just got my wisdom teeth out, so I'm out of commission for a few days. I'll be sure to give it a try this weekend when I'm out next

Tman, I have the same frog and I have yet to score with it.  I even bought a Heavy fast action 7' 1pc to match it so I could yank those big boys out before they wind around the weeds.  My biggest bass since season opened was on a finess worm with a U-tail. I use an offset hook and go weedless.  Works great for sparse weed areas and wood.  Not so good for deep water or open water.

Justin, I want to make it back up there just to try to catch some of those pigs that we caught at night fishing for eyes.  I was impressed.

Bass'n is fun...

Joe

BSmaster, I found that after bringing the frog in on a steady side to side retrieve them stopping it at about halfway through the cast and waiting ten seconds seemed to trigger the fish. I too was using that type of rod, paired with a curado

The dahlberg diving frog is an unreal frog bait worth buying!

Tman you should look into bass nation events here in NY. Co-angling is a very inexpensive way to learn a ton about bass fishing. You get paired with someone in the boater division and then spend the day on their boat...the bass opens are the same deal but you fish 2 days on different boats but not so cheap...Cody and Anthony were both paired with elite series pros last open on Oneida...Cody finished 69 out of 200ish I think. You get plenty of 70-80 mph boat rides too...some on not so nice conditions

Justin, that'd be an absolute blast. That's something I'd be very interested in. I was just on their website and I didn't see any events scheduled for New York in the future....I could've been in the wrong place though

Yep. $425 for the Opens.

To find the registration info you need to go to the general Opens page under Tournaments.

Glad you guys reminded me about this because I still haven't received my refund check that they said was sent back on the 27th.

Edited by Chowdaire

Thanks guys. Justin, that'd be great if you could get me the info for bass nation. I likely won't be able to do SLR this weekend because of my wisdom teeth, but depending on when the one after that is, hopefully I'm free and can look into joining that one

Yeah this weekend is all closed...you get 2 more events...as with anything it's best to sign up early like winter! If you fish the opens even as a co-angler there are a lot of partial sponsorships out there available too. You can get most of your gear half off retail...rods...reels...etc

This opens are a little to pricey for me to enter right now, but the bass nation ones I'd be interested in if there is any open spaces. Do you know where the two other events are and how to sign up?