SWR SET UP

I just tried a two colour SWR set up and it worked really well on Lake Ontario. I caught most of my fish on this set up. But they were all 10-21lbs. I ran it off the down rigger 150' back 32' down. I didn't want to change anything because it was working and for my first trip to Lake Ontario it was working so well.

I am heading back for another day...question I was hoping someone could help with is...do I need to fish deeper? Change to a 3 or 4 colour swr or put more or less line out. I would like to find something bigger this time.

Thanks for any help. post-160982-14682931399191_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks! It was my personal best so far! 17.96lbs won our Derby here in Sarnia and I only saw that in the cooler st awards night. I am pretty hooked! I have a fish hawk and will look for 42F. I have some ATOMIK flys as well as some hotfish flys and I dug out that flasher. I was not using a flasher on that set up and it was out fishing the other rods. But I was catching a lot of the same size fish. Hope to be back to Toronto Thursday night so I can be out early Friday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some lead core to try to set up on one of my down rigger rods, like you describe. I hope it works. I use large open face spinning reels for my down riggers because I need my level winds with line counters to use for dipseys.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've allways known it to b secret weapon rig ...same thing ...any way purpose is when the fish r short striking and or ball shy ..u see them in the graph but not taking the bait ...u can use a 2 or 3 color rod to get 5-15 ft below the ball and have a better chance of generating strikes ..because the balls r not scaring the fish ...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ok Lucky Linda, I am rigging up my SWR, and put 2 colors lead core on my Penn 8000 conflict after a full spool of sea flea 30#. My question is, do I put a flasher or spin doctor on and then a short leader to the spoon/lure, or NO flasher at all just the spoon??? Maybe the flasher kills the lead core action? Please help.