SWR SET UP

Gary I haven't tried the flasher. I don't think it's a good idea because the 2 colours of lead gives the lure a more natural presentation and I am thinking no. But I don't know for sure if I am right. I learned this set up from a friend, looked up Dan Keating and have used it when nothing seemed to be working. My first trip to Lake Ontario this year I brought only one rod. My 2 colour swr. That Rod caught all the big fish that day to my friends amazement. And just a mag spoon with an offset siwash spoon.

Now I sleep with this Rod [emoji2]

I don't know....I just know it works. But I am still stuck at 24lbs personal best...so maybe it doesn't catch the monsters.

Going back tomorrow. It's a 4 hour drive one way. I come home to work a day or two then go back. Hoping for something bigger [emoji2]

I think I need a group...salmonaholics lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

A lot of this site is like the group you're looking for, it's just different...

Instead of celebrating overcoming and the recovery, we celebrate the addiction itself!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] (paraphrased from Jase Robertson)

Edited by greenboatluke

You are welcome! I am going to say no flasher for sure. That will ruin the action. ( if anyone in here has a different answer I am pretty new too).

A friend of mine told me to keep it simple. Practise! That advice is helping lol

This is my first time fishing Lake Ontario and my catch keeps getting bigger.

The speed and current along with temperature play more importance than the thousands and thousand of dollars I now have ties up in fishing gear. Never mind the boat rods and electronics [emoji2]

You are welcome! I am going to say no flasher for sure. That will ruin the action. ( if anyone in here has a different answer I am pretty new too).

A friend of mine told me to keep it simple. Practise! That advice is helping lol

This is my first time fishing Lake Ontario and my catch keeps getting bigger.

The speed and current along with temperature play more importance than the thousands and thousand of dollars I now have ties up in fishing gear. Never mind the boat rods and electronics [emoji2]

X2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Use a downriver rod and reel. Just add two colours of lead core line to the end of it. Add 10' of line to the end of the lead. The knot I use is a simple overhand knot. Peel some of the sheathing back tie the knot then pull the sheathing bank over to cover the knot. I got this set up from Dan Keating. He writes a book 'Keating on Kings'. You can make 2,3,4,5 etc colours. I distinguish the different rods in my rod locker with different colour electrical tape around the Rod just before the handle. I have only been using my two colour, but I will try my three colour next trip.

No joke ...95% of my fish in this derby are caught in this set up. I don't run anything but a spoon. Biggest fish is 29.? Lbs so I can't say it the winner...yet.

Friends of mine started running the same after I fished the day in their boat and it out fished everything.

I just started catching on meat and the fly set up, so I am learning lots but it's really hard to give up the swr. It just works.

your welcome, you can also use spro micro swivels and tie that to the lead core (remove 6- 8 inches of lead from lead core before tying knot to swivel) this makes it easier to change your leader without cutting up your lead core. Since they are small they will go through the level wind on most reels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have dedicated SWR's that I've been using for sometime 1,2, 3,'s but one of my buddies actually successfully runs his 10 colors that way without problems. My hunch is that one of the main reasons leadcore works may not be related to the length used but rather the fact that it creates a lot of turbulence under the water whipping from side to side and up and down in the column. My only concern with the longer sections is that dipseys or coppers running deep could get tangled in it but he doesn't run coppers either.

Edited by Sk8man

I have a 5 colour but with 4 lines, the current and weaving the shelf in Lake O, ran only 2. However I am rigging up 3 for the Owen Sound Derby. I can only run one line so it won't be as big an issue. I don't know why it works so well, just that it does. I think it's a more natural presentation but I am just guessing really. The whipping makes sense though.

Just something to keep in mind.....like a lot of things in life more is not always better....nor does it always yield better results. There is something to be said for stealth and presenting something that seems novel or unusual to the fish. When too many attractors are run together or even too many lines at similar depths and lengths my feeling is that it may actually spook otherwise inquisitive fish. I know other folks may think  differently but I thought I'd mention it for consideration anyway :)

A few people have advised me to 'Keep it simple' and it seems to work. My SWR with only a spoon was my best rod. But it didn't produce the biggest catch. Our biggest was flasher/Fly and meat. This derby I took someone to dinner and he showed me how to tie a meat rig. Fancy Italian dinner, table cloths and white linen napkins. The waiter was thinking this was an unusual date lol

Just something to keep in mind.....like a lot of things in life more is not always better....nor does it always yield better results. There is something to be said for stealth and presenting something that seems novel or unusual to the fish. When too many attractors are run together or even too many lines at similar depths and lengths my feeling is that it may actually spook otherwise inquisitive fish. I know other folks may think differently but I thought I'd mention it for consideration anyway :)

Exactly right Les! I don't do the SWR, but do the SCR...same principle different metal in the wire. SCR = Stealth Copper Rig...100 foot copper on the rigger ball. Last outing I ran 3 riggers solo, 2 with spoons, center and starboard, SCR port side 20 feet higher, big spin doctor and twinkie meat rig. The SCR was doing so well, I decided to change the starboard rigger spoon to another SCR 100 foot meat rig. Varied the depth of the two from time to time. If the two ran together within 10 feet depth difference, the bite slowed, or even stopped on those SCR's and then the single spoon running center 20 feet off the ball became the target for a couple bites. So what you are saying about many attractive programs run too close is more detracting in that it spooks wary fish is valid in this observation. Also there were more than a few boats trolling that particular spot in 580 fow, so I believe the extra activities those other anglers were presenting were a factor in the Stealth Copper Rig being productive with just one running that plane of water.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app