CHARGING...AGAIN

LongLine

Charging again....

Anybody know what the ohm reading should be on a 75 hp evinrude (1984) between the diode/rectifier red and yellow leads? How about the red to yellow/gray??? Manual says yellow to engine ground should be infinite one way and have resistance the other. Same with yellow/gray to engine ground. It then says check yellow to red and yellow/gray to red but doesn't hint what the reading should be. Is it the same, or should they both be infinite, both ways???

(now I'm undercharging.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey Tom,

I finally dug out my service manuals. Unfortunately they do not cover this model year. Wanted to reply to bump this topic up so one of the motor guys might reply. I did just have an undercharging problem (no charging actually) on my 9.9, and it turned out being the rectifier/regulator. I'm not sure what they used on your model. Those charging circuits are pretty simple. I bought the SELOC service manual for my motor and it has been pretty helpful.

Good luck.

Sponge - I've got a new rectifier diode, new stator, new battery cables and have gone back to a marine starting battery (also brand new) rather than the dual purpose marine battery. Also, cleaned and/or replaced a bunch of connections. Only thing left that I can figure is the flywheel. (which will be darn near impossible to replace) Will try again this weekend & see what happens. Wish me luck.

Tom B.

(LongLine)