Worm Harnesses ASAP

Harnesses are quite easy to tie and good components are easy to find. Most of the pretied stuff I see at Dicks isn't really suitable for anywhere where there are decent walleye...the hooks and line are suspect at a minimum. The first cheap ones I ever used here on Otisco got tore up and shredded with each fish. They worked ok at best for 1 fish. Tie or buy with a quality flourocarbon like Seaguar or bloodrun and wide gap walleye hooks from vmc or the like...as for used or old harnesses...worse yet... I make them up when I plan on using them and tear them down over the winter or whenever damaged and save the hooks, clevis, and blades. Good walleye are too hard to come by to use anything but a quality flouro leader. If you were closer I'd tie you a couple for nothing...

Harnesses are quite easy to tie and good components are easy to find. Most of the pretied stuff I see at Dicks isn't really suitable for anywhere where there are decent walleye...the hooks and line are suspect at a minimum. The first cheap ones I ever used here on Otisco got tore up and shredded with each fish. They worked ok at best for 1 fish. Tie or buy with a quality flourocarbon like Seaguar or bloodrun and wide gap walleye hooks from vmc or the like...as for used or old harnesses...worse yet... I make them up when I plan on using them and tear them down over the winter or whenever damaged and save the hooks, clevis, and blades. Good walleye are too hard to come by to use anything but a quality flouro leader. If you were closer I'd tie you a couple for nothing...

Thanks for the advice... I'll probably try tying a few up myself then haha

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tie up some ultra death rigs with smiley blades, they have the slow death rigs but you reall want is the ultra faster spin and the max smiley blades kick ass, or a #4-5 deep cup Colorado blade with # 4 gamatzu circle hooks. I like the 3 hooks because when I fished Erie it was all about how strait the worm was and hook the worm as far front on the nose of the worm, so non like fold back. I don't know if it's a hardened fact but I only use red hooks.

What pound line do you use for your harnesses? I use 14, but I've seen some guys go as light as 8.

Seaguar premier 15lb, which at 011 inches is just under 10lb diameter and I'd go 20lb if I were gonna be dragging structure and that line is just over 10lb dia at 015

Excellent, thank you. Yes, increasing line weight for structure makes sense. I will give 20lb Seaguar a try. I've been using Berkley and P-Line.

I use 20# fluro, the straiter the presentation the better, plus like Justin mentioned you can pull a tank through the rocks with no problem.