I also run 25lb maxima, but once the fleas take over I will tie in 100-150ft of 40-50lb big game. This eliminates any fleas from the surface to the ball, works great. Once fleas are gone I cut the big game off and move on.

Line diameter is not the only important dimension in choosing line in flea season.  The texture or composition  of the particular line is also a critical factor. Although various mono line may look the same to the naked eye there are important differences int he outside coating on the line. There are also different types of fleas which in habit the waters (eg. fishook vs. spineys etc) which may adhere to the lines differently.  The densities of the fleas clusters int he water column are the primary determinant of problems with them.  The 30 lb Bloodrun Sea Flee mono (slick outside coating on it) has worked well for the past few seasons for me but when the fleas encountered are real thick there is no guarantee no matter what you are using. I have also used various diameters of Big Game and it does work to a degree as it has a hard rather slick outside surface but in my experience at least it doesn't perform as well as the Sea Flee. The line stretch in the Sea Flee does however take a little getting used to  with downriggers (line creep so with Blacks it helps to do more twists before placing int the release arm)  There is no true "silver bullet"  and thinking that just line diameter adjustments will totally solve the problem no matter where you fish is either ignoring the reality of the situation or else having not experienced really thick fleas :lol: After many years fishing with 12 lb test everywhere even the 30 lb seems like using rope :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Line diameter is not the only important dimension in choosing line in flea season. The texture or composition of the particular line is also a critical factor. Although various mono line may look the same to the naked eye there are important differences int he outside coating on the line. There are also different types of fleas which in habit the waters (eg. fishook vs. spineys etc) which may adhere to the lines differently. The densities of the fleas clusters int he water column are the primary determinant of problems with them. The 30 lb Bloodrun Sea Flee mono (slick outside coating on it) has worked well for the past few seasons for me but when the fleas encountered are real thick there is no guarantee no matter what you are using. I have also used various diameters of Big Game and it does work to a degree as it has a hard rather slick outside surface but in my experience at least it doesn't perform as well as the Sea Flee. The line stretch in the Sea Flee does however take a little getting used to with downriggers (line creep so with Blacks it helps to do more twists before placing int the release arm) There is no true "silver bullet" and thinking that just line diameter adjustments will totally solve the problem no matter where you fish is either ignoring the reality of the situation or else having not experienced really thick fleas[emoji38]After many years fishing with 12 lb test everywhere even the 30 lb seems like using rope :lol:

Great advice, And well said. X2

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'd like to see that with a #20 king on the end.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The use of the heavier lines is mostly related to the flea issue.  In the past many if not most of us used 12 lb test even on 30 plus kings. That's what a good drag is for :lol: