running copper?

is it possible to run more than one copper lines off  the boards?  heading up to lake Ontario in a couple of weeks,  thought id run two coppers on each side ? or am I asking for trouble?

Mostly all I run is coppers. I leave the downrigger balls parked right in the craddle. It is no trouble at all. Shortest to the outside. I run 250 then a 350 then a 450 off each side then a 500 down the chute and two dipsys on a 2.5 setting off the corners. If you get a fish on the outside lines just watch the 500 down the chute. It will get in the way sometimes. 

If I were you, I would listen to Captain Czarnecki.  While it may be no trouble to someone who runs plenty of copper all of the time and is experienced at it, I think you would be safer to just run one per side.  One bad tangle with the copper, and you will see what I mean.  Good luck whichever way you choose.  :yes:  :yes:

In theory, you could run more than one copper on each side....as long as you didn't catch any big kings. Steelhead, Atlantics.

The five coppers run perfectly...

Until you add a misguided missile fish to the end of it! You DO want to catch fish right?..tangles add insult to injury of lost fish and tackle,...and time!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

is it possible to run more than one copper lines off  the boards?  heading up to lake Ontario in a couple of weeks,  thought id run two coppers on each side ? or am I asking for trouble?

im not gonna run but one on each side , my crew has never salmon fished and I not gonna take a chance!, were heading to ollcott august the 3rd for a long weekend, cant wait to get up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your help paul

I don't know what you have for a boat but I have a 16.5ft aluminum and if I have 3 guys we run 9 rods, 2 coppers a side 1 dipsey a side and 2 riggers with a wire thumper down the chute. There are times I'll pull a copper or 2 to add dipseys . Yes tangles happen but it's part of the game. With an inexperienced crew I would drop a few rods but they would likely be riggers and the thumper before I pulled a copper. Day in and day out coppers and dipseys are what catches the most fish for me.

Just something to think about but more is not always better.  There are times when you may want a little stealthier presentation than a ton of stuff running through the water possibly spooking more fish than you are attracting.  Setups can be more effective when some thinking goes into just what you want to achieve rather than just putting everything but the kitchen sink down there hoping to score big.  Each setup should be selected  to enhance the attraction factor as well as avoiding the major tangles when doing the necessary things  such as turns etc. so you run things that are compatible while covering the critical areas of the water column for maximal success. 

Edited by Sk8man

im not gonna run but one on each side , my crew has never salmon fished and I not gonna take a chance!, were heading to ollcott august the 3rd for a long weekend, cant wait to get up there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for your help paul

I'll be up that same weekend if you want to share notes let me know, fishing friday, saturday half day sunday till noon. 

Please dont get me wrong and now that I read that your just getting into the game I wouldn't recommend 3 coppers off each board. For years we have fished smaller lake trout and rainbow trout lakes where we would run 12 rods all with leadcore and inline boards so it does take time. I am not gonna say we dont have tangles with the coppers because we do. However for me personally my catch ratio nearly tripled when i switched to an all copper program. You do have to bomb the boards way out which is NOT conducive to combat fishing. We also run snap weights and when a king hits I will stall the boat for a few seconds and let those coppers sink to get out of the way, I run All of my board rod up off the hard top of the boat so when it come time to fight the fish you have a wide open dance floor in front of you except for the dipsy rods which can be cleared. I know and agree with what everyone is saying but the only way you learn is by doing. I would have to say however that some of our best days is when we have three or four guys on the boat and only fish 5 or 6 rods. SK is correct in saying more isn't always better. I just flood the water column till I find what is working then subtract the rods that are not firing as the day goes on.