Lake Erie Salmon

RD9

Has anybody else seen the pink salmon they are catching of Erie Pa and a guy I personally know caught one off the Brocton Shoals. Last year several salmon were taken out of Dunkirk harbor one 6lb coho off my boat. Any info on whom is sticking them? I have a hard time believing they are swiming in from connected rivers.

They come in from Huron.  The only viable population of Pinks breed in Sault Ste. Marie.  Doesn't take much to have them flushed into Erie.  Cohos are stockers from Huron or Michigan.  I have hooked into some Kings on the Catt.  All these cases are rare on Erie so you could not call it a "fishery".

http://www.landbigfish.com/articles/default.cfm?ID=373

Edited by Gill-T

What is the difference between a Pink and a Coho?

Pinks are also called humpies. Very distinctive spawning phase with a large hump on the males. Smaller than Ho's too. Very prolific several thousand experimental fry were flushed down a hatchery sewer in the 70's. They have colonized much of the GL in limited numbers from that event. Primary population is found in Superior and SSM connector.

I believe it is just the spawning males that have the pronounced hump.

post-145411-0-85083800-1468587203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Didn't they used to stock Erie with kings and stopped in the late 90s?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Exactly. There's some natural reproduction, no doubt. Very limited. The quick out migration of King fry was always thought to be an advantage in Erie's warm tribs but it didn't pan out.

There have also been some tagging studies showing salmon commonly migrating from Huron and Georgian bay through St. Clair and the Detroit into Erie. This was before the bait crash. Almost as if the salmon were trying to get to the salt but ran out of time.

Edited by ReelPower

Started fishing the Erie tribs back in the mid 90's while in college(Go Fightin' Scots!) and still make annual trek West to fish for some crome. Can probably count on two hands the number of pinks, ho's, and atlantics I've seen. If I'm not mistaken, PAFBC attempted to stock salmon in the larger Erie tribs but the fish never really took. The streams there are completely rain dependant.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Started fishing the Erie tribs back in the mid 90's while in college(Go Fightin' Scots!) and still make annual trek West to fish for some crome. Can probably count on two hands the number of pinks, ho's, and atlantics I've seen. If I'm not mistaken, PAFBC attempted to stock salmon in the larger Erie tribs but the fish never really took. The streams there are completely rain dependant.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The PAFBC stocked cohos and kings in Erie for years!

Last year I fished clear creek after some high water and there was coho eggs everywhere I couldn't believe it. My first salmon was an Erie fish right out of the buffalo river but that was back when they were stocked