Yamaha Problems

reillym

Is there a reputable Person around the Fulton or Oswego area who's experienced in diagnosing boat and outboard problems? 

My remote started shifting hard a couple of weeks ago, didn't think to much of it until I took it out again this week and it started making a little bit more than usual clanking noise when going into gear and still hard to move remote handle forward or reverse. I decided the other day to drop the gear case and inspect the **** shaft and look for any problems and also changed out the water pump. The remote was in Neutral when I dropped it and verified the shift shaft was in Neutral before putting it back in.

Water pump works fine, prop turns in correct rotation forward and reverse, stills make a clanking sound and noticed when remote is in neutral the prop spins freely but clanks, move the remote back and forth and it stops clanking and spins freely, move the remote again back and forth then into neutral and it moves freely but clanks.  It seems to me that something is out of alignment being the remote got tight  I'm thinking a possible cable problem of not aligning, on my motor there's a electronic sensor for positioning too. My boat and motor F115xa is only 3 years old and only like 180 hours on that motor. I have a Clymer manual but that only gets you so far. I have many years of Mechanical experience but boat and outboard is still in the learning stage.

All relies deeply appreciated.