Fishing reports

I have noticed this year that there doesn't seem to be as many fishing reports on this site on how we did, where we fished, what we caught them on.

Does that mean that there are no fish to be taken in the Lake, and  Is fishing gotten so bad that no one is catching? Are people being more quiet on where  they fish and what they get their fish on?  Or are we dwindling in numbers and just don't want to share?

Brown trout fishing wasn't the greatest this spring. Out in the eastern part of the lake people who do post never seem to catch anything.

Out West it is better from the scant reports we get.  

Just wondering................

Edited by maisie

Yes, i can understand why people in the tournaments wouldn't want to share their sweet spot.  But i think it's been this way all year.  I could be wrong.  Just my opinion.

I think Steve.e has it right. Add cash and bragging rights into the equation and most tournament guys clam up. As a weekend warrior, I still fish like I did before the interweb was around..... watch the wind direction for a few days prior to fishing, stop and check water temps. with a probe on the way out, pick a starting point, then adjust to what I see on the fish finder.

Half the fun for me is getting things dialed in on my own.

I am also guilty of not posting info. after my trips.... I will try to correct that laziness from now on.  

Edited by J.D.

Here's my take on the lack of fishing reports - Social Media! It's so much easier to upload pics and reports to FB, Twitter, and Instigram. I watch analytics on my website very closely. This year is the first year ever I've decreased in traffic. People don't have to go to my website for fishing reports anymore. It's plastered all over social media. Even captains who never were on LOU, or maybe just creeped, are plastering pics and reports on social media. I could be wrong, but I don't see any other reasons.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I think Rick hit it right on the head and its kind of the "American way" now everything is "instant" and phone related. The damned things are taking over our lives as is the social media phenomenon. In a way it is pretty sad...we are getting further and further away from directly communicating with others...just one more level removed from human contact. The younger folks growing up with this as their main way of communicating are going to be the ones most affected and then society wonders why kids feel disconnected from each other and from society itself on the personal level....not much of a puzzle really.

Edited by Sk8man

What I see is the American way is people are lazy and just want it easy and spoon fed. They want to use their cell phone apps to get the info and expect an easy button to catch fish...that combined with people biting the hand that feeds them because of the anonymity of the forum, and all the lurkers who never have shared their trips certainly makes people who regularly post more tight lipped. I definitely think there are many regular posters across the entire forum who don't openly post many trips anymore....I know I want to know who I'm helping and what boat they fish from...the ones that I meet I usually send out with lures to use. Tournaments, derbies, and money definitely clam people up but lots of regular pleasure fishermen just aren't posting trips imo!

Here is a report for you. Fished Seneca on 7/17 targeting Bass, caught 6 babies and 2 rock bass, west side of the lake south of long point.

we saw a ton of "big boys" and they were jumping everywhere just not hitting (and i tried every lure in my box, PERHAPS MY TECHNIQUE IS GARBAGE?). We had about a 6-0% follow rate. The fish were there just not interested at the time. But who would be when the sawbelly population is AMAZING.

I think reports are slow because fishing from Sodus to Mexico has pretty well sucked up until lately.  You should start seeing more reports as salmon season comes into full swing.  I'm pretty sure there's usually some guy out of Sodus posting a report ;)

Got to say, I'm no fan of social media. Even the guys that I've been friends with for many years seem to think that if they post something on Facebook, then the whole world knows it and there's no need for actual communication with an individual. There's guys I haven't spoken to in months that I used to hang with regularly. Yeah, I really hate it, this bright, new world. I don't see how Facebook is a surrogate for real interactions...

As for posts, I know that there's boats that are tired of being followed around or having spots blown up because they posted a good report. There's places on the lake where the fishing has been hot this year, and the increase in boat traffic has been unreal. Word gets out. Which is great for everybody, I guess, but it makes for some tough fishing, especially when you're flying solo like I am a lot. I think that folks get weary of it after awhile. And as stated above, instant access to on-the-lake reports on social media and an increase in the number of sites that have reports has resulted in an interesting dynamic.

I fish Seneca and post good bad whatever....  cut back on detail but I have not been tearing them up anyway that said..... could be the poster that takes the time to put up a report then see 200+ views post after post without any  :yes:  replies just thinks time to  :bandit: ..... I've been there and will again I'm sure......hey with facebook I can control who can see my reports so that is a GOOD thing