I went out of Golden Hill this weekend.

I was out for 5 hours with no hits.

I'm fairly new to Lake Ontario fishing.

I was out 220-280 FOW, marking fish mostly 45-55 down.

I had both riggers set at many different depths throughout the day, ranging from 40-80.

I was running flasher fly combos, one was white board with pink and blue dots, similar colored fly.

The other was blue and green spin doctor, with similar fly.

Are there any colors that are proving to be more productive than others?

I would really like to get into some fish!

For me, anything green... mountain dew spin Dr. With hammer fly is always a good one. Black and green spoons always do well, NBK spoon etc...

NEWBIE here lol ...

What is a "hammer" fly and a "NBK" spoon.

I know what a fly and spoon are but not sure about specifics.

Google - I use Michigan Stinger spoons a lot - green bubble is always a hit. Tuxedo - Alewife... and it never hearts to have odd colors for the days they're after purple or orange etc. I'm assuming you know what a dipsy is, and how to get a spread and get them down where you want. Other terms - FOW - foot of water (depth) and 50 down - means the lure is 50ft deep in XXX feet of water (to the bottom). 

Google "hammer fly salmon" and you'll see pictures. I like to run those behind a flasher (could use a dodger - again, google.)

Get a good dipsy chart that accounts for wire V Braid and the setting on the bottom weight...

Sunny D I was out yesterday and I had luck in 325 ft of water 80 ft down with a spindoctor and fly of the rigger. The wife landed a 26 lber that's on the loc board ,but not for long,. She really tested my patients after dropping her cell phone in the water at the dock and then telling me it was my falt because I rushed her but she made up for it by landing this fish. Hope this helps out. Jeff

Yeah - 80 down over 390 was a decent fish for us. My wife backed into the boat this AM and that was my fault... you know - for putting a 22.5" boat where she can't see it. Haha...

Speed - right. Crucial. Anywhere from 2.2 to 3.0 - speed at the lure is supposedly best at 2.8 but without a probe $$$ who knows. 

PS - What you're looking for with your distance down is the themocline - the place where the water dips from 70 degrees to 40s or 50s. The fish live in that cold O2 rich water and strike up at bait from below. Varies in depth - 40ft down to 90 I'd guess most days - or if it's really stirred up not there at all. Another thing a probe can do for you is tell you temp at depth. 

Downriggers and planner boards - advanced topics and again $$$ @fishncars

From what I heard the speed at depth is really important. I don't have a probe yet but think this might be my next purchase. Ya big $$$ will have to cash in on some of my empty beer cans.

I'm new to the LO salmon fishing but I have had some limited  success by listening and reading everything I can, and asking folks with full coolers at the Ramp. Some have been very helpful. I also joined Lotsa and went to the seminar thursday night. If you were there I was the one asking lots of questions of Paul from tri Sate Charters!  Saturday, we got two 24 inch salmon and one 30" steelhead in about 240 FOW. Slighty west of olcott launch. two were  about 60 feet on the rigger, one was  on a huge black metal diver with 200 feet of wire line out. (I hate that stuff may take it off).

Sunday, took wife for first time on the boat. Trolled from 100 FOW out to 350 and back to 130. NOTHING. She was not impressed with my abilities and the drone of motor irritated her. Why can't we fish like normal people?, she asked.

Our best day was 5 fish in 125 feet of water thursday before last. They bit good from 5 am to 7 and then nothing, total shut down.

By the way, I have no probe. Just getting the big reels, line, lures, flashers, used downriggers, and making my own planer mast system, has cost too much already. I have been trying to maintain 45 degree angle on the rigger cables, and 2.5 to 2.8 GPS speed.  

Garrymny-    Definitely is a learning curve.  Keep in mind that you must be doing something right if you have caught fish.  Your biggest problem may be current.  You could be in the sweet spot heading NW, then turn around and head SE and you may be 2 mph different at your lure.

Just do your best to replicate what you are doing when your rod fires.  Keep a log.

One other piece of advice...save your change and buy down speed unit - Complete Game changer.  And yes, this is a very expensive hobby LOL

Good luck