Cannon Mag 10's started acting up?

Hi guys I was fishing today and for some reason my downriggers werent working properly. They've worked fine the past few times I went fishing besides being slow which I'm assuming is because they are an old model. Well today they both seemed really weak and I'd have to rock the switch back and forth, play with the spool or the reset button to get them to retrieve for some reason. Unsure of the issue wondering if any of you have had a problem like this before. Thank You!

Hi guys I was fishing today and for some reason my downriggers werent working properly. They've worked fine the past few times I went fishing besides being slow which I'm assuming is because they are an old model. Well today they both seemed really weak and I'd have to rock the switch back and forth, play with the spool or the reset button to get them to retrieve for some reason. Unsure of the issue wondering if any of you have had a problem like this before. Thank You![/quote

Both riggers? I doubt both went haywire at the same time. I'd check the main power source, their grounds and there breakers, if both come off the same power source, check that connection!! If it's just 1 ya, maybe trouble. You stated my "riggers weren't working properly"

I am thinking low voltage. More than likely due to a bad / weak connection somewhere. Low voltage would make them slow and trip breaker due to high current to make up for the low voltage.

I'll check the voltage....I kinda figured it was something like that because they both started acting up. There are 2 on my boat. The one didn't work worth a **** the other would be ok until about 60ft then it'd start acting up bad. Thanks I'll keep you updated

If you have breakers instead of fuses be sure to check that connection, say it works down to 60ft might be a weak breaker, that's how they act. If it's fused, still check the connection but if fused disregard the rest either they work or they don't!! Good luck, now is not the time for this!!

I'll check the voltage....I kinda figured it was something like that because they both started acting up. There are 2 on my boat. The one didn't work worth a **** the other would be ok until about 60ft then it'd start acting up bad. Thanks I'll keep you updated

I don't know how you are connected to your battery.  But check for corrosion at any ring terminals on the battery.  A little sandpaper might fix you up.  Also on the quick connects between downrigger and power source (assuming you have those 2 prong connections).  

Could be a loose terminal too.  Had that with my truck once.  made things haywire.

I don't know how you are connected to your battery.  But check for corrosion at any ring terminals on the battery.  A little sandpaper might fix you up.  Also on the quick connects between downrigger and power source (assuming you have those 2 prong connections).  

Could be a loose terminal too.  Had that with my truck once.  made things haywire.

After you've checked out all the connections and if  you still have problems if you have the short stop circuit boards and one is stopping in the middle of the cycle the board may be going bad.I by past the board on mine with a toggle switch{ four prong]. The riggers were slow enough I didn't need stops. The boards are $75 and the switches are $23.    Good luck.

After you've checked out all the connections and if  you still have problems if you have the short stop circuit boards and one is stopping in the middle of the cycle the board may be going bad.I by past the board on mine with a toggle switch{ four prong]. The riggers were slow enough I didn't need stops. The boards are $75 and the switches are $23.    Good luck.

This might be the best bet, as mine are pre-shortstop I never gave this a thought!! Thanks W.W.I.V. For your post!!!

While you said both are acting the same , to me it seems like low voltage as suggested , weak battery, terminal connects , etc . I have been there before .

Another check if they pull up slow is the cable - pulley set up at the boom . I had mine foul a few times on the pulley and cause excessive drag = draw on power .

Had it happen again this weekend again . Cannon has a upgrade pulley for them but I haven't switched myself

Are you trolling with a kicker or main engine? If you are using a kicker you maybe experiencing low voltage from all the accessories drawing from the batteries.