Using OMC Kicker Bracket

Hey guys,

Is anyone out there using this OMC Kicker Bracket:

OMCKickerBracket_2.jpg

OMCKickerBracket.jpg

The bracket works fine, but I've never figured out a great way to raise the motor after trolling. The bracket requires that you push down on the motor to release the mechanism. This is fine in calm waters, but it requires I lean WAY out to release. In rough water I usually get a very wet foot (one foot in motor well). Haven't fallen out yet. Someone here must have figured out a good way to release. Getting it to lock in the down position is a little easier, but wouldn't mind suggestions for that either.

Thanks for yor help.

I got on one the back of my center console. The transom has a built in dive platform which is an integral part of the hull. the same problem you are having with the rough water and hangin out to lift and drop the kicker is what I had... Conseqently I had another problem with using the bracket for lifting the motor out of the water...that is I can't even reach the lever for the motor to lift or drop.

Here's what I did to get around having to use the bracket for lifting and dropping...it's got several components but not expensive and only needs a little hillbilly enginneering.

I have a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke...it may be the same as yours but I don't know what your using for a kicker.

#1 I don't use the omc bracket to do anything but hold the motor in the up position cause my kicker reaches the water easily in that position.

#2 My kicker has a lever to hold the engine in the tipped up position..and I use that.. with a combination of a spring attached to the lever to automatically apply pressure for locking the motor in the tipped up position..then to release the lever a string attached to it to pull from inside the cockpit of the boat.

#3 Ok so now you have a method of locking the motor in the up position..now you need to have a way to phisically lift the motor to the up position and put it back down it back down in the water...that is accomplished with a GOOD boat hook. coated to keep scratches to a minimum but strong to handle the weight of the motor.. extendable for storage but with a good locking device...You will have to do some looking at the back of your motor to see if you can get the hook into the hand hold.

#4 So the string works for the lifting chore by pulling on it to release the tip up lever while at the same time using the boat hook to muscle the motor up and down..it's also a good idea to put an extension cord and handle on the recoil starter if you don't aready have electric start.

The only leaning to do is to make adustments to the tiller throttle. If you have a lockdown lever that grabs a bar under the motor for the purpose of keeping the motor locked down when in reverse..you will have to find a way to cancel the locking effect or you will not be able to lift the motor to the tipped up position again without getting out there next to the motor.

mine uses a claw and removable bar.. to keep the claw from locking on the bar I slipped a piece of pipe around the bar to keep the claw from lathing onto it....that's it but you will probably have to improvise for your applications.

hope this helps but you may find that all you have to do is fiqure a way of operationg the omc lever in the same fashion as the boat hook and string somehow.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. My setup is a Johnson 9.9 4-Stroke with remote controls (see below). I need to use the bracket to raise and lower the motor. I also tilt the motor to an extended shallow water drive (I extened it) with the bracket up so it clears the water. I used to use the tilt position but I broke the motor's tilt bracket running in rough seas with the motor bouncing up and down. I have no trouble accessing the lever on the bracket for raising and lowering. The biggest problem, as I mentioned, is pushing the motor down (when it is down) to release the mechanism. By the time I am ready to raise the kicker the boat has usually turned such that waves are breaking into the motor well where I need to put a foot to reach it.

061307_19221.jpg

Maybe the extendable boat pole i mentioned could be modified in a way that you could push the motor down from inside the cockpit.. It seems like the only way to keep from steping out into the motor well would be to use some sort of sturdy pole like a good dock/boat pole with a removable tip so you could apply a soft head on it to push down on the cowl of the motor or a crotched vinyl coated attachment to push on the front motor handle/bracket... the kind of crotched attachment I'm thinking could work might be like a garage tool holder for a wall

• 1 month later...

My other boat had one of those type brackets on it.It was a constant battle.I let a buddy of mine use my boat one day . He almost cut his finger off trying to reliece the trip mechcinism[sp]. Trip to hospital,stiches etc.

My best advice is a solid bracket and then buy a kicker motor with power tilt. Problem solved before you fall off the boat and get more than wet feet. You can transport motor easily on a solid bracket. You can lock motor to a solid bracket.

I know this doesnt really answer your question but it does solve your problem.

Just tell your wife its a safety thing. You dont want to get caught in a storm without a good safe backup motor.