Cayuga 7/17/16

Launched out of Taughannock. Trolled North a couple of miles and back a few times in 100 to 300 fow. Picking up several small Atlantics and a few Rainbows along with 3 legal Atlantics. Went straight across to the East side and trolled North and South a few times. Picked up a few more slightly larger fish, but still not legal. Went back to the West side where we picked up more of the same, then we finally picked up a legal Lake Trout. Overall we caught around 30 fish putting just 4 in the box. Every rod in our 6 rod spread caught fish. We ran 2 dipsey rods with spin dr. & fly, 4 rods on 2 Downriggers with a spin dr & fly at the ball and a spoon on the stacker. Mostly greens and blues did the trick, with a couple other colors thrown in the mix. I'd call it a good day.

Cayuga is going to be great when those LLS get a little bigger! There sure are a lot of them!

I was wondering about that.  This is our first full year on Cayuga.  Have the LL always been around in this size and number?

They have been like that for years, as they get older I think they get a bit smarter and harder to catch. There are good sized salmon in that lake I'd say lots of 5-8lb fish.

They never that I know of stocked the small salmon this early in Seneca ( don't know about that in Cayuga ) they put them in mid to late September.  Just wondering how many of the little guys will make it till next spring being stocked in prime fishing season. My point is that they hit so hard it's tough getting them back in the water with out injuring a few......time will tell....

Cayuga is going to be great when those LLS get a little bigger! There sure are a lot of them!

I think the stockers are around 12 inches. If they survive till the following year I think you get the 14-17 inchers we are seeing more of this year. Salmon over 18 inches I am guessing are the 3 year olds. Anyone have any ideas or info on this?

I think the stockers are around 12 inches. If they survive till the following year I think you get the 14-17 inchers we are seeing more of this year. Salmon over 18 inches I am guessing are the 3 year olds. Anyone have any ideas or info on this?

Have they been stocking Cayuga this time of year right along ?

If so just forget what I have to say .

In what I have seen here on Seneca with the landlocks , they were stocked in late to mid September 10" and 12" (about ) by late April , early May they were just shy of 15" with some in the 15" to 17" range ( no big weight ) . 

They may be thinking now by stocking early and with the 18" limit on Cayuga these fish will be at 18" by late April early May..... with the bait at its peak this time of year may be a very good idea....... the only drawback I see is if we (fisher people ) stay on the small guys because they are so easy to catch and numbers of fish boated mean more,,,,

I've been there , this site helped me or educated me to know better now.......

Edited by ERABBIT

Have they been stocking Cayuga this time of year right along ?

If so just forget what I have to say .

In what I have seen here on Seneca with the landlocks , they were stocked in late to mid September 10" and 12" (about ) by late April , early May they were just shy of 15" with some in the 15" to 17" range ( no big weight ) .

They may be thinking now by stocking early and with the 18" limit on Cayuga these fish will be at 18" by late April early May..... with the bait at its peak this time of year may be a very good idea....... the only drawback I see is if we (fisher people ) stay on the small guys because they are so easy to catch and numbers of fish boated mean more,,,,

I've been there , this site helped me or educated me to know better now.......

trust me when I say it's not that people stay on them it's that they are everywhere caught them from 20' down to 130' down in 60fow and the middle of the lake small spoons mag spoons flasher flys they eat everything it's beyond annoying honestly for me at least. Sure didn't target them yesterday they are just unavoidable and I covered some water.