Trolling speed with out a probe

I'm new to the salmon stuff too I been out 5-6 times and can't seem to get it down is killing me here not knowing but that's why it's called fishing and not catching I need all the help any one can throw me I have Okuma 7.6 med-heavy rods with 20 pound seaguar Fluorocarbon line with # 1 dipsy on it with spoons set usually at 60-70 feet down

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2.5 gps speed is a good starting point. I'll speed it up a bit or slow it down until the fish tell me how fast they want the baits. I have the drag set light on my divers so I hear the slightest change in speed. As long as my rods are bent correctly, and they are straight behind the boat, I'm good.

Yes, it does seem when I look at my gps it's always 2.5+or-

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

One of the things that strikes me recently is how much we Americans especially these days look for the instant, simple answer to issues or problems, or new situations that may either be complicated or relative in nature rather than experimenting ourselves to find the best answer for our own situation. I mean absolutely no disrespect as I'm sure the above question is genuinely offered but it is a good illustration of what I am talking about. There are so many variables to consider combined with unknown information that it is impossible to answer the question accurately and the answer is totally relative to that situation. The bend in the rod depends on the characteristics of the rod itself such as the length, composition, and how soft or stiff the tip is for example and the boat speed, currents present, the type of setup, (e.g. wire vs. mono, flasher vs spinney vs. spoon or stick, size of dipsey and on and on. Basically, with a diver rod you want some stiffness in it but the length is related to personal preference mainly and the exact way you intend to set up your stuff. You may have different sized rods for each side of the boat or if running multiple dipseys different lengths on a given side to assist in line separation. I think the most valuable piece of info on any of my rods is what is happening at the rod tip. If you have experience with your setups or even specific spoons you begin to recognize familiar characteristics in the way the tip moves that can tell you when it is running the way you wish or too slow or too fast or if the spoon is spinning, or the attractor is revolving or swaying too fast etc.

Yes, the first 25 years of me doing this their was no LOU. Now everyone wants the answers quick and I don't blame them, but I still won't give out all. Lol

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

munks-  I wasn't trying to dump on you or anything honest but you may want to do as many folks on here have suggested to others and get together with some friends and go on a charter and ask some of your questions where the ability to actually view the things suggested  and try them out may really help. It really is the best way to get this stuff down.  Many of the things that the experienced fishermen on here have learned they have done with many many years of trial and error approaches, practice and experimentation.  Even most of the Youtube videos aren't nearly as effective a learning tool as being there in person and doing it yourself with skillful guidance and feedback along the way. It can cut years off the learning curve and there are many very capable charter guys out there  with VERY helpful information regarding effective methods and practices to catch the fish you desire. Even after 67 years of fishing I learn things every time I go out there :) .  It is all about paying close attention to details and making necessary adjustments and following your intuition. One of the things I found helpful in the past on my first saltwater experience was writing down all my main questions in advance on 3 x 5 cards and then firing away at the charter captain after he said "'go for it"....he actually got a kick out of it :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Im new also but my catches have been getting more consistent over time. Observe and note what's working. I log everything.

I start at 2.3 - 2.7 and note the angle of the wire and as weird as it might seem the sound of the wire. I have been told there is a chart out there somewhere that can help estimate speed.

Keep at it ! You'll get em'

Im new also but my catches have been getting more consistent over time. Observe and note what's working. I log everything.

I start at 2.3 - 2.7 and note the angle of the wire and as weird as it might seem the sound of the wire. I have been told there is a chart out there somewhere that can help estimate speed.

Keep at it ! You'll get em'

^^^What he said!! After you catch the first few you'll figure it out.