Introduction to Lake Ontario

Hello, my handle is DoubleJay, and I've been fishing the Great Lakes for Salmon, Trout, and Steelhead since the late 1960's, mostly in Lake Michigan. I've always run smaller boats, 18-21ft, and trailer them all over to find a good bite and learn more about different locations.

Recently, friends of mine had a great day on Lake Ontario fishing for King Salmon, after driving all night to get to the East side of Toronto. It was their first trip, and going into it blind, they did very well. The pics he sent me reminded me of the glory days of Lake Michigan (late '70's early 80's) when you could go out of any western Michigan port in late July, early August, and get into some beautiful fish.

I'm getting up in years now and not sure I can make the drive anymore, so I'll most likely find a small charter operation and book some time on the water soon.

Thanks

Jay

Welcome to the board. I live right in between Lake MI and Lake O - there's a good reason why my trailer able boat always heads east for salmon: Lake Ontario is an incredible fishery.

The later the season gets the more kings migrate to the Eastern basin towards the Salmon River. There's still good fishing in the western basin for Kings in the fall but it is a major migration you should be aware of.