Cayuga 7/19 Big Rainbow

Fish went back....It did the surface shark swim (Dorsal fin showing) for several minutes. I followed it until it swam down and seemed to stay down. The track on my fishfinder was a crazy squiggle track afterwards.

Edited by 58Johnson

Beautiful fish, congratulations. That size rainbow doesn't come along vary often.  It must have given you a pretty good show.

It took line violently right off the bat. I reeled it in a little and loosened the drag to avoid a breakoff. It leapt out of the water like a whale, making a huge splash. A great look at a BIG fish.  A few more short runs to the left and right with an under/over on the mono dipsey on the right and I was able to get it to the boat.

The comedy show occurred when I tried to net it from the front/side/back with the 18 inch net. It dove twice but came back up along the same side of the boat and allowed me to ineptly try to net it. It was cleanly, well hooked so the unhooking and picture happened quickly. I got it back in the water in the net, but it was too big to drag the net through the water for long to help revive it. I stopped the boat and let the fish out of the net where thankfully it swam. I followed it for several minutes until it swam down and stayed down.

post-142093-0-33265400-1468959315_thumb.jpg

Edited by 58Johnson