I found out that the pancake weights twist the hell out of the wire. I use a torpedo weight now and have no issues.

This is the truth!! I have the 10# pancake type weights, last year I noticed that my line was wrapped around the cable when I brought them up to switch things up, at first I thought maybe it was me causing this by maybe when I put the twist to make the loop to hook on to the blacks release, I even blamed the blacks spinning on the cable, mine are free sliders till I toothpick them into position, but I didn't peg the bottom one, then I did and got the same results, HMM now what? I noticed that the cable was like unwinding like to single strands, up to 6-7 feet of the weight. I switched over to Harvey's torpedo weights and see no evidence of this happening now. I even went as far as not pegging the blacks release on the bottom and now everything pulls strait. I guess the proof is in the pudding!! Maybe if you fish where there are no currants that can spin the weights in differant directions they might work. I even gave the weights the eyeball to see if the back fin was bent, but this was not the case either.