copper and lead core for side planners?

Hi 

How deep do you figure the 10 colors is running? What speed do you run it at?

I always thought about 5ft per color, but does that still hold true for 10 colors out?

Thanks & Boat Safe

Egoody

The 5 ft per color is thought to be the rough estimate. There are a lot of variables to consider though such as waves messing with your speed, trolling direction (e.g.into vs. against the wind) differences between the 18 lb and 27 lb and 45 lb test, underwater currents, and what you are running for a terminal lure (e.g. stick, diver, spoon, magnum vs. regular size) possibly whether running down the chute or from a big board pulling it up and down in rough water) etc. and perhaps even the size and length of your leader. All that comes into play in terms of the exact depth you achieve.  One of the ways you can examine this is to get something like a Fishawk TD and run it on your line for a closer estimate with different setups and experiment. This will give you a closer estimate than applying the standard "guesstimate". :)

Edited by Sk8man

I use the Suffix 832 advanced lead core 10 colour. They say that this lead core will sink 7' per colour. I run it 400' back with just a spoon. I'm guessing it is running 50-60' down. I don't use boards. All I know is that my catch ratio went through the roof after adding lead to the game...out fishes the riggers 5-1.

I use the Suffix 832 advanced lead core 10 colour. They say that this lead core will sink 7' per colour. I run it 400' back with just a spoon. I'm guessing it is running 50-60' down. I don't use boards. All I know is that my catch ratio went through the roof after adding lead to the game...out fishes the riggers 5-1.

Larson, do you ever have problems with fleas on the 832?

Not sure where you're fishing but I tried either my 832 lead core or my Tufline Micro Lead in Lake Ontario last August and it got covered with fleas. Clumps bigger than golf balls. What a nightmare to clean without kinking the lead.

I chalked it up to it being thinner than standard leadcore.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I've never used copper but 10 colors of lead has produced some nice fish for me this season on Lake Erie. The success with it varies species to species but as far as a rigger-diver-lead bite ratio goes, for me I'd say. Lake Trout: 90%-8%-2%. Steelhead and Salmon 40%-40%-20%. Walleye 40%-25%-35%.

I'm Using 10 colors of lead core, with a cowbell (or spin doctor) and a spoon and it has caught me some nice steelhead this year. 5" cowbell was working great until it broke in half on a nice one. Ordered some more. I find it easy to use, and the reel does not have to be as HUGE as it takes for 300 or 400 copper. I tried, and had to take the copper back because I couldn't even get the 300 copper on, let alone the backing The 45 Okuma I had allowed lead to go on with a good amount of backing. I think 10 colors will get down about 50 feet per the package, but as someone said, no way to know for sure. What I have read is the leadcore actually undulates up and down in the water column up and down, so you are covering a range of depth.