Extending the boom

Is it suggested to extend the rigger boom ? If so what are the reasons ?

I have an extendable boom mag -10 but never adjusted it out . Just wondering if I'm missing something by doing so . It seemed to me that extending it adds more pressure on the boom .

Rich

The boom is designed to carry the weight fully extended, what ever the max is of that rigger to lift. I fish with a fixed 4ft boom, I fish over the corner of my platform kind of a 45* angle. It's mainly a must need to extend the boom for a reason, some like to be further away from the boat. Some mount their riggers with extendable booms on the outside corner both port & starboard and 2ft is plenty over the side so that's what others do. To some it's nothing more than a personal preference. I don't believe it's a advantage to fish with a longer boom, plus they sell the best money can buy riggers with 2ft fixed booms. Basically a extendable boom makes for a more versatile rigger, designed to fit most to near all situations. I doubt you will ever hear "extend your boom there hitting better with 3-4ft of boom out" LOL if it works for you don't mess with it. If it's a hindrance at 2ft stretch her to 3ft nothing will be lost. Thats my opinion!! PAP

It seemed to me that extending it adds more pressure on the boom .

Rich

Yes and more on where the base is attached to your boat. If they are solid no worries.  The only advantage I could see would be a tad more action at the ball on cannons by waves rocking your boat with your boom fully extended.... I adjusted mine like pap said to fit my needs and easy use..... three on the boat only one fully extended that one is down the chute and need it out to clear the back bring it back in.   

Thanks folks that was basically the answers to my question . Currently without extending my boom , my riggers work fine as is . I wasn't sure if by extending them would help with less blowback or if there was an advantage to keeping the line/ cable farther behind the boat .

Thanks again

Many run 3 or more riggers. My center rigger has a short boom and is run straight down the chute (inboard). My corner riggers are extended to about 4' to get the balls out to the side of the boat. That provides good seperation from the chute rigger which is great for running flasher flies on the riggers, or really helps prevent tangles especially this time of year when all 3 riggers are below 100'.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app