new motor

My toothy critter boat. I own a 14’ Polarkraft 1470 utility boat rigged up with fish finder and trolling motor, pretty basic. I just upgraded my outboard to a BF20D3LH “a Honda 20 HP, Long shaft, rope start, tiller drivenâ€. This was upgraded from a 2002 Yamaha 4-stroke 9.9 HP. I can’t believe the boat now reached speeds of 28/mph on plane. I expected the speed to go up to perhaps 20/mph, but this surpassed my expectations. May not keep up with the bass boats (not that I care) but nice increase over 11/mph.

Edited by NPike

We have a 20 Honda kicker on our boat. Almost 10 seasons and lots of hours on it. Only have needed to change oil regularly and impeller every couple seasons. It should be a great, reliable motor for you.

In regards to muskiedreams questions the BF20D3LH is rope start only, no electric start option, helps keep the weight down. I am really impressed with the motor also how easy tilt works, a kid could lift it. So much easier than my 9.9 2002 Yamaha and the longer tiller handle is very handy.