dipsey settings

I follow reel excitement posts on facebook, and I allways enjoy listening to him!! I am leaving on august  the 3rd for ollcott to fish for 4 days!! I fish most of my time out of erie pa for walleye, still enjoy it but I love making a few trips to lake o for salmon, love the strikes !!!!!!!!!!! I hear him talk about  dipseys 180 and 220 back, but I never hear him say what settings he is using?  I only run 2 dipseys when I go there and I try to keep things simple! is he running a 2 setting  on his dipseys, just curious, !!!

Either 1 or 2 should get you close enough to get some numbers working for your spread. With variables like with ring or without, and linecounter/reels makes using someone's number a starting point to get you in the park.

The only caution I can think of is that you have to stay away from setting the dipsey past the last # (e.g. 3) as most of the time it will bring the dipsey to the surface :lol:

Hi,

I need some help understanding the settings on the dipsey. On the moveable weight on the bottom there is an arrow pointing R & an arrow pointing L with their corresponding numbers, 1-3. If I set the weight in the direction of the L arrow, does it mean the dispey will go left when in the water and therefore run it on the port side of the boat? 

Thanks & Boat Safe

Egoody

Hi,

I need some help understanding the settings on the dipsey. On the moveable weight on the bottom there is an arrow pointing R & an arrow pointing L with their corresponding numbers, 1-3. If I set the weight in the direction of the L arrow, does it mean the dispey will go left when in the water and therefore run it on the port side of the boat?

Thanks & Boat Safe

Egoody

Face the front of your boat. Left side is port and right side is starboard. When facing front of boat, use left dipsy settings for the rod on the left ( port) side of the boat and right dipsy settings for the right ( starboard) Rod.

Now you know why starboard and Port is used on a boat instead of right and left. Idiots making dipsies should have used starboard and port and not left and right.....

Hi,

Thanks & Boat Safe

Egoody

I always think of it as this, put the weight towards the boat, and I usually troll 2.4-2.8 mph and I go by, the first setting, 3 feet out 1 foot down and the 3 setting is 5 feet out 1 foot down

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use the Chinook diver, so I'm not sure how that equates to the dipsey brand. I assume the weight discussion is the same, put the weight towards the boat, which seems backwards, but when I was using them the other day I thought they were going the wrong way . Maybe that explains it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Don't most charters run 2 dipsys a side? Usually a 1 setting and a 3 setting? What is everyone's thought? Hell I want to run 3 a side just don't yet. Im a lake erie guy and first mate at times so running 12 , 14 rods is normal. With junk fish and worms, it can be non stop in and out. At least here Im not checking bait non stop. I have that mentality of 3 rods a guy is legal , 12 rods out with 4 guys or  9 with 3 of us for sure.? Im starting to think Its not quite the right train of thought here. Tell me what you guys think. 3 of us head out, my spread is 2 dipsys a side. 1 a mag dipsy on a 1 setting, and a normal lure Jensen #1 I believe on a 3 setting. Wire rods. 2 coppers out on tx44 in line boards,.. or 1 copper and 1 leadcore. think its a 10 color and got a 300 and a 400. Then 2 down riggers. And I always throw a slider/ stacker on. so that's 9 rods. If its 4 guys , I put two stackers on, or sliders, mostly fixed, with seperate rods. So thats 10 rods out including the 2 clipped onto the cable. If I could effectivly fish 2 more rods I probably would. lol. Im starting to seriously consider running my cheaters with only 1 rod/ 2 lures like Ive read on here. Makes a lot of sense. Less rods in the way same result. I have not had many troubles with tangles or landing fish yet. Anyway, reason Im asking is I just feel like I should be doing better. A little better. staring to feel my spread a little more. Feel like Im crowding it sometimes. Too many different lures swiming out there at one time. I notice a lot of these charters have only 3 maybe 4 different lures out working together. 2 of the same flasher and fly out. Often. I just think I need to start thinking maybe less lures and more about presentation.