Irondequoit bay! Outing at a price :(

7/21

Beautiful afternoon to be on the water. Left work early to go on a father son outing right outside Irondequoit bay. Started out with 2 mag dipsys on line counter reels with 20lbs power pro flasher and fly set up. On the riggers we worked a 30ft leader of flouracarbon with just a spoon, down 60 to 80. Started in shallow hit a nice steelhead in 110fow down 70ft on a dark green spoon with green dots. Headed out deeper to 200fow with no results. Turned east to head back into shallow water my dad got board and wanted to catch a laker so we lowered the ball to 115ft and within a minute caught a nice one. By this time the wind picked up and had a slight chop charted nice arks from 50 to 80 over 110fow that's when we picked up our second steelhead on the green spoon with green dots down 60 over 115fow. Lost one on the dipsy/spoon combo, lost another one the rigger. Picked up a small salmon about 17 inches on a orange stinger. Overall all fish caught on spoons / flasher spoon dark green was the color fish all around 100fow down 60 to 80. Now to the bad I lost an entire pole after my rod holder broke!!!! Had a line counter reel with trolling rod, mag dipsy set up with a flasher and my favorite spoon. Those mag dipsys pull hard at 3.0mph I had my rod holder angled (bad idea) and I guess it was too much. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen to them? I hope I am using these dipsys right , the tension is set so strong on my release because of the drag I only use 20lbs test. Hope to get out this weekend for some more fun and this time not lose any gear this stuff ain't cheap!post-159302-14691967976748_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Replace your missing pole reel with a wire setup. No stretch and you can set, will need to set the drag a lot lighter. Dipsys and mono are just not a very good combination.

x2 an expensive lesson learned...we've all been there

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Also you may wish to consider hooking safety lines to your rods (near the reel with strong clips) as an added precaution. I do so especially on other folks boats :lol: as I tired of contributing to the fish Gods cache of rods :) 

I like the idea of a safety line I use cannon ratchet metal rod holders so no worry of the holder breaking like the plastic I have on riggers.One idea if you drop something make a way point on your gps and might get lucky snagging it later.Afriend of mine droped his temp probe and had a diver go back and found it for him using the waypoint.great fishing report thanks

plastic rod holders are not for trout or salmon fishing . i have seen a hard brown hit rip one off the side off the boat . a quality  dipsy rod  holder like big jon is what you want . i am with sk8man i tether every rod that is in use 

Edited by fisherdude

Slow down a little. 3.0 is a little faster. I know everyone is gonna blow up hearing me say that and trust me I've caught a ton of fish going that fast and even faster but but I do even better at 2.0- 2.5.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tite-lok are about the least expensive rod holder you can trust a dipsy to. Nothing plastic. Drag should barely hold dipsy. I add a #16 rubber band from reel to wire so drag can be a little looser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk