Crossbow

I have a good buddy that owns a bow shop so when I was in the market for a crossbow we layed them all out and I shot every single one. I ended up buying the Stryker and have been very happy with it. It has by far the best trigger On the market and is very smooth. To be honest you can't go wrong with a Ten Point or Mission crossbow either. Very good quality bows. In my decision it came down to the Ten Point vs the Stryker. I really liked them both but after running them through the chronograph I had to take the Stryker. Advertised speed was 390 fps and it shot 388. The Ten Point point shot more than 40 fps less than advertised. I've had the crossbow for 3 years now and shot multiple deer with it including a 160 11pt in Nebraska at 76 yards. No problems with it ever. Stay away from Barnett. I have seen several of them blow up and that is a scary sitiuation if you have never seen it before. Good luck in your search if you have any questions feel free to ask.

you are right.There are so many to pick from-shop around. I shoot a Barnette Brotherhood-fairly light and quiet.Also depends on how much you have to spend. I got mine off the internet-bow,arrows,and rope cocker for under $500.00. Plus there are a lot on craigs list and ebay.

• 1 month later...

Barnett Predator just started sighting in ...60yards with cheap bolts

Hey what do you guys use for a target man these crossbows have a ton of power the bolts blast right inside my archery blocks. Look how beat up the fletches get ...terrible

post-143447-0-77578800-1473163228_thumb.jpg

post-143447-0-24098000-1473163317_thumb.jpg

You need to get a target rated for crossbows and a puller.  The friction as the bolt goes in melts the material, condenses, and grabs the shaft.  I think it is a pain pulling them but it is what it is.

I have a Barnett Vengeance.  It was easier sighting in than my Muzzle loader.  I did have difficulty installing the inverted limb which led to several conversations with Barnett trying to figure out their manufacturing practice so I could get the bolts to line up.  I am (100%) pretty sure there was 2 different locations where the two totally different materials were precisely machined.  All I wanted to know is which one needed to be slightly warmer so the CTE mismatch wasn't an issue for the alignment.  They were not helpfull.  I think customer service for some of these companies is where to hide an under performing family member that you can not fire.  I thought it would be better dealing directly with Barnett, however, sometimes it may be beneficial to work with an experienced bow tech as an intermediate.  I bought directly from Barnett so there was no one else.  This led to some frustration until I finally got the limb attached.

A definite challenge lining up the bow section and fitting the crossed strings inside the slotted slide area. I managed it very cautiously all seems like its operating well but I know from sighting in my son's PSE express it as important to have quality bolts and fletching as it is with compound bow gear. And now much more speed and energy so all is intensified. You still need to settle in and squeeze. I bought a Caldwell field pod it's well woth the 90bucks and fits the Predator well.

Next up sight in with broadheads and new target...thanks BS

I have a barnett predator. Even with xbow target, i have to put bag target behind it. Ruins fletchings. Trouthunter, stick with barnet bolts, I tried carbon express maximas and they fly everywhere. Spline is very different. Have not had goodluck with expandables with that xbow either. I shoot muzzy 3 blade 125grain.

BS for sure getting the discharge bolt. Am I gonna hunt with it can't freaking wait!!

I am bolt shopping this weekend I'll look for the Barnett's I just don't like the fletchings on these. I ended up with a 1/2 inch piece of old plywood behind the target bag and anther bag against that ...the bolts were smashing through the plywood too I mean wow.

I saw that G3 online looked slick Gambler this Predator is heavy duty I wanted something that would last a few years and allow some extra distance.

I would do some research, and go shoot as many as you can. I have had many crossbows. Wouldn't touch a Barnett, but they sell more than any other, why? They are in every chain store in America. Poor customer service, nightmare breakage stories, overall construction, ect. I do know that there are going to be some great deals on discontinued Stryker models that are rock solid. Darton, Tenpoint/Horton, Stryker, Excalibur (recurve), Mission are some of the ones you will want to try out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Are all the broad heads 125 grain or is it different depending on what you are shooting? I just bought a crossbow but it doesn't say what grain the tips are I am practicing with

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

No, broadheads come in different weights. 100 grain, most popular, then 125, and there are a few that are 150 + grains in case you don't have enough weight up front. Crossbow arrows (bolts) need to be front heavy for accuracy. Most have 110 grain, or 90 grain inserts to achieve this. So best way is to weigh them to find out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Had a perfect day with the Predator check it out 25 yards I was able to back out to 35 and get very exciting results too man this thing is lightning alot of fun. I replaced the fletches with the shrink wraps from Buck commander took a couple pics I love how the smaller fletches fly this thing is ready.

Anybody see these weird stick bugs around Allegany

post-143447-0-77293300-1474237907_thumb.jpg

post-143447-0-13711000-1474238001_thumb.jpg

post-143447-0-53156500-1474238137_thumb.jpg

post-143447-0-55100300-1474238211_thumb.jpg

Good shooting. I remember being up in a tree in Shawnee National forest Illinois going for a monster, everything was moving in the the dark, leaves branches etc. When it got light there were millions of those. When you touched them they fell acting like they were dead. So here I am on a guided hunt playing with stick bugs.....never saw it like that again

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Man that sounds kinda creepy ..they seem curios too this one was in my ground blind it jumped onto my hat when I moved the blind . I tossed it on the ground a few feet away didn't want to step on it by accident and it turns towards me starts crawling back to me and right into my hand!! I carried him off alive and well.

For your target get a morrell yellow jacket.   I have a ghost 385 and it stops them bolts easily and

you can pull them out with one hand.   They make a discharge target also.   stay away from foam

targets.    Anyone know shop that fletches bolts in the Rochester area?

For your target get a morrell yellow jacket. I have a ghost 385 and it stops them bolts easily and

you can pull them out with one hand. They make a discharge target also. stay away from foam

targets. Anyone know shop that fletches bolts in the Rochester area?

I imagine bullseye archery in Bloomfield does....closest I can think of

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk